basic hydrometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjzelectric

Reaction score
ive only used my hydrometer once and i just sanitized it a put it in my primary. is that common or should i take a sample out and use the hydrometer in a different vessel?

if i'm testing from a bucket, i just drop it in after sanitizing.

if i'm testing from a carboy, i use my thief to pull the sample into a graduated cylinder, test...then drink :)

One of the problems with putting the hydrometer in your primary is when it break (they do that a lot) you have ruined an entire batch of beer. Secondly, krausen and dried crude make it impossible to read.

Get a thief or turkey baster, sanitize it, remove sample and take reading in a hydrometer tube.

One of the problems with putting the hydrometer in your primary is when it break (they do that a lot) you have ruined an entire batch of beer. Secondly, krausen and dried crude make it impossible to read.

Get a thief or turkey baster, sanitize it, remove sample and take reading in a hydrometer tube.

iamwithstupid.gif

Back