Basic hydrometer confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizzlyRed

Reaction score
I just transfered to the secondary and took a reading an I made the mistake of reading the "potential alcohol content". I am concerned about the gravity at this point. The starting was about 1.66 and as I looked around the whole hydrometer (all scales) it didn't look like it moved all that much (around 1.50)
The thing is, within 3 hours, the first fermenter was bubbling (65-70 degrees) and continued for at least a full day after that. Not "going to town" bubbling, but fairly consistent. I also used 2 packs of dried yeast as I used 6 lbs of LME and 1.5 lbs of DME.
Does this sound like I just am reading the hydrometer wrong? D I have anything to worry about in your opinion? Is there a good place on the net where I can get a class on how to read a hydrometer? I feel kind of dumb :0

Thx,
Grizz

wow- I like have deja vu all over again! I believe I answered this. Would you like the post removed from the other thread, and the reply transferred to this thread?

Sorry Yooperbrew. I was afraid that other particular thread may have been dead and took the risk of posting it twice. I didn't give it time, obviously.
My mistake. Just a little impatient. will give it more time next time

Thx for your reply and the help

Back