Basic Brewing Radio...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I kind of got interested in Basic Brewing Radio a week or two ago and decided to download the podcasts so I can play at home and in the car...

Between the archived podcasts from 2005 to now, and the video podcasts, I have nearly 7 GB of data!!!:cross:

Now to hit the Brewingnetwork.com ...

I'm listening to the newest BBR podcast now- our own Kaiser is discussing attenuation with James Spencer right now! :rockin:

NOOOOO.... don't do it....
especially if you are married...

I started with Jamil's show on the BN...
it was like the starter drug...
once I got done listening to the entire archive for that,
I downloaded all of the archive for the Session...
dude... its like crack
it will ruin your life...
your wife/girlfriend will hate you...

if I remember the numbers from the last time I figured it out,
there are over 400 hours of the Session in the archives...
I listen while I am driving to and from work,
I am at work not, listening as I am typing this...
mowing the lawn, cooking dinner, taking a shower,
every time I am doing something that I can get away with it,
I am listening...

run...
run quickly...
don't let it get you...

I like BBN but I haven't listened in a while, he was starting to repeat topics and it didn't really hold my interest. The best episodes are the ones with real interviews and not just him and Andy talking.

NOOOOO.... don't do it....
especially if you are married...

I started with Jamil's show on the BN...
it was like the starter drug...
once I got done listening to the entire archive for that,
I downloaded all of the archive for the Session...
dude... its like crack
it will ruin your life...
your wife/girlfriend will hate you...

if I remember the numbers from the last time I figured it out,
there are over 400 hours of the Session in the archives...
I listen while I am driving to and from work,
I am at work not, listening as I am typing this...
mowing the lawn, cooking dinner, taking a shower,
every time I am doing something that I can get away with it,
I am listening...

run...
run quickly...
don't let it get you...

I know what you mean! I promise it's not a problem. I'm ok. I just listen to to it in the car or in the garage. Well, sometimes in the house while I'm working on the remodeling.

I'm a fan of both programs. Sometimes Jamil's show gets a little mature for the kids. My little one (9 yo) sometimes likes to listen. I think she might someday like to brew her own, once she forgets the taste of IPA... :D

I had to turn on the corporate web filter today so the auditor can see that we use it. Normallly it's turned off. I noticed that I can use "Quota Time" (you are allocated 6 10-minutes blocks of certain non-adult-themed sites) on basicbrewing.com, but brewingnetwork.com is blocked completely! Good job, Jamil! It was the "America! F&*K Yeah!" episodes and a few others that did it for them...

Yeah, I just realized that today. I thought they were all 1-hour shows, but this last download I looked and it said 2:18:00. 2 hours!! No wonder they are so huge.

Only two hours? You are just getting started. There are Session episodes that run 4+ hours. I have 11/05 - 04/06 loaded onto my phone right now to listen to as I drive and what not. The shortest is 2h 10m, the longest is almost 4h, and the average is just over 3h. To the best of my knowledge, the longest Session show they have done so far is just over 5h, and that was with Lodi Brewing on 01/06/08.

I am telling you, it's an addiction... get away while you can.

I am telling you, it's an addiction... get away while you can.

LOL. I've been listening to The Sunday Session also. I've got a backlog of something like 150 episodes to plow through. I can't imagine how long it'd take me to catch up. I've been making a point of listening to that when I brew.

I also listen to The Jamil Show, but generally just hop to a particular show devoted to a style I'm interested in brewing as opposed to listening sequentially.

I know what you mean! I promise it's not a problem. I'm ok. I just listen to to it in the car or in the garage. Well, sometimes in the house while I'm working on the remodeling.

I'm a fan of both programs. Sometimes Jamil's show gets a little mature for the kids. My little one (9 yo) sometimes likes to listen. I think she might someday like to brew her own, once she forgets the taste of IPA... :D

The Jamil SHow is WAAAAYYYY cleaner than the session. And btw...the Sunday Session sucks. Im sorry but when i listen to beer radio i want to listen about beer...not a bunch of people sitting around saying stupid jokes i said in 3rd grade. It is 95% stupid and 5% a little beer related. I have a great sense of humor and don't mind them opening up wth a couple stupid jokes...but just ****in get on with the show.

The best shows for BEER and HOMEBREWING:
Brewing Networl- The Jamil Show
Brewing Network- BrewStrong
Basic Brewing Radio/Video
Yeast Slurry Podcast
I have just started listening to Craft Beer Radio and it seem pretty good so far

I'm a huge fan of the BN. When my MP3 player is on, there's a good chance that it's playing one of their shows. I guess I would fall into the borderline addicted camp.

I like the fact that they're now focusing on Brew Strong. I like the more in depth information, Jamil's show for recipe ideas and general guidelines, and the Session for the interviews and shennanigans.

The Jamil SHow is WAAAAYYYY cleaner than the session. And btw...the Sunday Session sucks. Im sorry but when i listen to beer radio i want to listen about beer...not a bunch of people sitting around saying stupid jokes i said in 3rd grade. It is 95% stupid and 5% a little beer related. I have a great sense of humor and don't mind them opening up wth a couple stupid jokes...but just ****in get on with the show.

The best shows for BEER and HOMEBREWING:
Brewing Networl- The Jamil Show
Brewing Network- BrewStrong
Basic Brewing Radio/Video
Yeast Slurry Podcast
I have just started listening to Craft Beer Radio and it seem pretty good so far

The Jamil Show is the same thing - I think there's about 5 minutes of actual beer talk in one of those shows - and now it's him rehashing a recipe that's already widely available. I know the show will end soon, but I never got it, personally, and I love TBN.

If I want to a cure for insomnia, I'll listen to BBR.

Jamil may know his stuff, but I can't listen to his show, it puts me to sleep. And the new one he does with John Palmer is even worse. Beer knowledge != automatically good as a radio personality.

I like BBR and how it is almost pure beer information. I call it the npr of brewing radio. This is meant in a good way as I listen to npr a lot in my car.

The Jamil show has some good shows but Jamil’s one-size-fits-all brewing process doesn’t allow for much more new info to be added in each subsequent show. The only thing that changes is the recipe, style description and the “jaw wagging” that seem to make up most of the BN shows. BTW, I used to be a big fan of the BN and thought the Sunday show/ session was the best thing ever. But I haven’t listened in a while now.

I have high hopes for BrewStrong but have been disappointed that a lot of the show is also taken up by stupid jokes, sexual references and other things that happened to Jamil. When it comes to the science part not much new is revealed. Maybe some of this is b/c the show is based on e-mail questions which essentially gives it the same content as you find in any home brew forum. I want to hear people from the industry talk about brewing, how they do it and how it may relate to home brewing. So far there was no serious “Geek” factor in that show.

But I saw for myself how hard it actually is to contribute to a show. It’s much easier to write about that stuff than having to be able to convey it in an interview. After listening to the BBR interview I did find a few errors in my statements.

Kai

Ah, I like Brew Strong. But look for it to get a lot more geeky. There's definitely talk in TBN forums to JP and Jamil about going no-holds-barred on the nerd-info.

...the Sunday Session sucks. Im sorry but when i listen to beer radio i want to listen about beer...not a bunch of people sitting around saying stupid jokes i said in 3rd grade. It is 95% stupid and 5% a little beer related.

Well, there's certainly more than a bit of truth to that statement. :)

It's about a 45 minute beer show crammed into 3 hours. No doubt. It doesn't bother me so much when I listen while brewing, because I've got tons of time to kill. But sometimes when I'm driving it makes me crazy. They'll announce a "listener beer tasting" right after the next break, and then 25 minutes later they've still not gotten to it and I'm at my destination. :mad:

But on the whole I still like listening to it. It's about beer after all.

I love BBR since it's so beer oriented. I listened to Jamil for a while but he really has nothing of interest to say beyond the recipe (at least for my tastes). As Kaiser said he uses a one size fits all process and I want to learn new techniques and 'get geeky'. I did buy his book because his recipes are good, I just don't like listening to him.

I really enjoyed Kaiser's episode of BBR! A few errors or not (you're probably the only one who noticed them anyway Kaiser!) it was VERY informative. I hadn't heard of Yeast Slurry so I just added it to my podcast list and I'll check out some of the episodes probably today. I'll have to check out Brew Strong as well.

I haven't been too thrilled with BBR lately - the quality of the show seems to have gone downhill, as if they are desperately trying to come up with new show topics (coffee roasting? wtf?). The recent attenuation episode was great though (the best in a while), and blew the Brew Strong episode on the same topic out of the water.

I like the Brewing Network stuff. Sunday Session can get a bit old, especially the last hour or so after the main interview, but the early shows in particular had a lot of great info. The Jamil show is ok, but really not necessary since Brewing Classic Styles came out - they cover little that's not already in the book, and the recipes are identical. Not a fan of Brew Strong thus far - it's poorly structured and they mostly just say "it depends; we can't really give an answer without knowing more about your process", etc.

I don't subscribe to Craft Beer Radio any more - it just wasn't particularly interesting to me. For beer reviews, I usually go with Beer Advocate or Rate Beer.

I just went to the site last night and downloaded a bunch of their podcasts.

I listened to January 24, 2008 - Mash Tun Efficiency (with John Palmer) today in it's entirety, and started on November 24, 2005 - John Palmer on All Grain Pt. 1. I just went through and picked several that were appealing to me right this second. I'm going back this weekend and downloading all of them!

Just to be clear you are not calling npr good information just information....right :fro:

I'm considering npr good information. Why shouldn't it. Certainly way better than the Greater Media alternatives on my dial.

Kai

I haven't been too thrilled with BBR lately - the quality of the show seems to have gone downhill, as if they are desperately trying to come up with new show topics (coffee roasting? wtf?). The recent attenuation episode was great though (the best in a while), and blew the Brew Strong episode on the same topic out of the water.

Thanks for the supporting words, and yes I noticed the same regarding the recent off-topic shows. After a while it becomes difficult for any of these shows to find new material. There are many subjects out there that would be worth exploring, but you need to interview people that can give a fresh view on these topics. To me that means people from the industry, but I doubt that they want to be bothered with that kind of stuff. Maybe BBR needs to go on a bi-weekly schedule. The last thing we want to happen is that the quality gets diluted so far that brewers stop listening.

Kai

But with brew strong you get informtion (listen to the one about wood againg). yeah they make a good amount of sexual comments but it is still a lot of info and i learn alot

I sent in a comment yesterday about how I like the show. I mentioned how a recent airing was particularly helpful to me.

Well I was surprised to see that James Spencer had emailed me back. Pretty cool of him. I figure he gets a lot of email every day, and he's probably fairly busy keeping the show running. I just thought it was pretty neat that he would take the time to personally respond to an email like that.

Back