Basic Brew Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureBrewer21

Reaction score
Plan on making my second brew sometime this week but I have a question.......My first batch was a 'kit' IPA and this brew will be a peach wheat. My 'kit' brew included steeping grains and then adding the liquid malt extract. I have currently purchased wheat LME so how do I get started? Do I just boil a gallon of water and then add the LME? Just confused on how to get it started. Thanks for the help.

For a 5 gallon brew:

You will want to first bring 2-3 gallons to about 155-165 F. When you reach this then add your grains (this is steeping). If they gave you a mesh bag, this is what you put your grains in so you don't have to strain them out after. Follow the recipe for length, but make sure that you keep the temperature in the range the whole time. Usually this is between 30-45 minutes.

Then remove the grains and bring this water to a boil. Once you reach a boil. Remove the heat source and add the LME. Be sure to stir while adding so it will not cling to the sides and burn. When you have added all the LME bring this to a boil again and start with your hop additions.

AND RDWHAHB

Sorry, I didn't make my question clear. I don't have grains to steep for this brew. Should I?

Thanks GO GATORS......and I have to tell you typing go gators is not easy. ROLL TIDE!

I think you should start by finding a recipe...at this stage in your brewing career, making a recipe by yourself is probably not a good idea. If you have a LHBS go there and the guy working can walk you through the ingredients.

I am by no means an expert, but I believe you should have some type of grains as well as some bittering and aroma hops.

Maybe some of the more experienced guys can give you some "wiser" knowledge.

10-4 I appreciate it. I do have some hops and have had some help from a local brew club member here in the lovely town of Savannah. Anyone else have suggestions?

Back