Basement fermentation temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTimblin

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post here though I've been lurking for awhile now.

Been brewing for about 2.5 years, and been running my own BIAB system for a little over a year.

I'm looking for ways to improve my beer that will make the most impact for my buck/time spent.

From what I read, the first couple things to get under tighter control is pitching enough healthy yeast, and controlled fermentation temp. While I've started using starters and plan to start harvesting yeast from my previous brews as well, I haven't done anything for ferm temp except putting the carboy in a cabinet that i know the ambient temp to be kept right around 70 degrees F.

My basement stays at between 59-63 degrees F year-round, so I guess my question is: can I use a reasonably inexpensive carboy wrap/temp controller combo to keep my ferm temp in the 66-68 degrees F range without investing more in a ferm chamber or fridge? Will the ambient temp keep the wort cool enough as it ferments?

Thanks for any help!

My basement stays at between 59-63 degrees F year-round, so I guess my question is: can I use a reasonably inexpensive carboy wrap/temp controller combo to keep my ferm temp in the 66-68 degrees F range without investing more in a ferm chamber or fridge? Will the ambient temp keep the wort cool enough as it ferments?
Hi. If your basement stays in these ranges all the time, I'd say yes. All you'd need is something to control when to turn on your heat to keep the wort in it's happy zone (let's say 63-68*F.) An Inkbird ITC 1000 (or Chinese knockoff from E-Bay) is inexpensive and very easy to wire up, especially since you only need the heat side. I'd recommend a simple heating pad that has a fixed on/off switch (not the digital type.) You can wrap that on the side of your FV with a bungee, and keep the sensor on the other side (insulated against ambient by some foam, sponge, reflectix, etc.) You won't be able to lager, but that's not what you asked. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, this is my first post here though I've been lurking for awhile now.

Been brewing for about 2.5 years, and been running my own BIAB system for a little over a year.

I'm looking for ways to improve my beer that will make the most impact for my buck/time spent.

From what I read, the first couple things to get under tighter control is pitching enough healthy yeast, and controlled fermentation temp. While I've started using starters and plan to start harvesting yeast from my previous brews as well, I haven't done anything for ferm temp except putting the carboy in a cabinet that i know the ambient temp to be kept right around 70 degrees F.

Thanks for any help!

Fermentation can raise the temp of wort by 5-10 degrees. My basement is currently 65 degrees amdmthenfridge in my ferm chamber fridge was still coming on every couple hours for the first two days to keep my ferm temp at 65. So for some brews your beer could be potentially at 69-73, which may be too high.

Much appreciated RedlegEd! That's p much exactly the setup I've been pondering after doing some HBT forum research.

Last edited:
Fermentation can raise the temp of wort by 5-10 degrees. My basement is currently 65 degrees amdmthenfridge in my ferm chamber fridge was still coming on every couple hours for the first two days to keep my ferm temp at 65. So for some brews your beer could be potentially at 69-73, which may be too high.

Yeah on the over 70 degrees side isn't where I want to be. Hoping that my basement being under 64 as a rule will be enough. I guess I'll just have to try it and find out!

@DTimblin. If you do this, I'd recommend setting the heating pad to it's lowest setting. It'll take longer for the wort to raise to the "right" temp, but you want that to be a gentle warming, not a harsh rise. Otherwise, you'll get swings as one side overheats, then cools down. For most styles, I'd say it's better to ferment slower at a cool temp, than ferment fast and warm. Good luck!
:mug:

@DTimblin. If you do this, I'd recommend setting the heating pad to it's lowest setting. It'll take longer for the wort to raise to the "right" temp, but you want that to be a gentle warming, not a harsh rise. Otherwise, you'll get swings as one side overheats, then cools down. For most styles, I'd say it's better to ferment slower at a cool temp, than ferment fast and warm. Good luck!
:mug:

Thanks again! What about one of those 'made for brewing' fermentation wraps that go all the way around? Are they worth the extra $$$?

Thanks again! What about one of those 'made for brewing' fermentation wraps that go all the way around? Are they worth the extra $$$?

I use a 40 watt ferm wrap which works really well in my temp range: 60-80s. You can attach it to your fermenter or wall of fermentation chamber. I had tried a 200 watt portable Lasko heater which was too powerful/overkill for those temps in my small chamber. Tried a 17 watt reptile rock and 17 watt reptile heat pad which were not nearly powerful enougH.

Make sure when you monitor your temps you monitor the temp of your wort (not ambient temp) by attaching the probe to the fermenter (and insulating it) or using a thermowell.

Make sure when you monitor your temps you monitor the temp of your wort (not ambient temp) by attaching the probe to the fermenter (and insulating it) or using a thermowell.
+1^^^. I use a thermowell, but fun4stuff has it right about insulating the probe. You want to measure the wort temp, not the ambient temp.

As to your question about the fermwraps, lots of people use them and they work. Depending on the type, my understanding is they are somewhat sensitive to excessive bending and they can be pretty expensive (~$30.00 vs $10-12 for a heating pad.) Then again, some people just use a 25watt incandescent bulb in a paint can. Personally, I prefer to put the heat where I need it, not try to heat the whole chamber.

Back