Basement build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbrew12

Reaction score
Well... I move to a new house in April and will be able to do the basement as I wish. There's already a kitchen down there which will be converted to my brew room but I also want to do the bar. I've always wanted an old style dwarven tavern (taking auditions for full time barmaids.) this is what I want to do. What do you think? Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

image-2680309853.jpg

If you pull that off I think people should be required to be in costume whilst sitting and drinking there. And you should have a mannequin for a "mysterious, silent, hooded figure" in the corner at all times.

Anyways, if you have the know how and resources, I'm sure it could be done!

I think my main issue is ceiling height. The ceilings are probably 8 MAYBE 9 feet tall so idk what to do there. The rest... Well basically everyone in my wife's family is a contractor so the resources are there. Our friend that married us is an architect for a big company here in town and said I got his help for one major project as our wedding gift so this may be it. I just feel the ceilings really pull it all together and idk with the height limitations. I wonder if there's a way to modify it but still have the same effect.

I can say with confidence that 9 feet high will be OK for dwarves. Halflings, orcs, they will all fit under just fine.

That looks like an elder scrolls game. Also, it looks awesome, you should do it. What are the ceilings now drywall, dropped, or just open.

I think thats from LOTR online. My goal is an old "dwarven tavern" and that was as close as I could get to finding a picture of what's in my head. The ceiling has some sort of false tile cover that is loose in some spots and I imagine that it'll be drywall behind it. We close beginning of April and at that point I'll be able to get in there and see the details. Got the confirmation from my friend that he'd do all the design and what-not. Now it's just a waiting game for moving day...

Well, if it's drop ceiling you can take that out and gain some height. The issue is how much of the home systems would then be exposed. I think modern pipes and wiring on your ceiling is not the look you are going for. They make drop ceilings that look like wood: http://www.woodtrac.com/ceilings/ you may be able to find something that is close to what you want and replace the current drop ceiling. After you solve the ceiling dilemna, the rest is just plain old construction and $$$. Good luck, please post the progress pics.

Hey, that stuff looks pretty nice! It just might work! I think one challenge might be getting tables, chairs, counter tops to look "rustic" enough. But I guess if it's made by dwarves it doesn't need to be. Hmmm.

I love that ceiling stuff... A 20x20 room estimates around $1450 which I don't think is that bad... I've run the plans by SWMBO and she said I can do whatever I want. It'll be a long project because it's gotta be done along side other home projects but the nice thing is most of those projects are the home brewery...

Back