Basement Brewing with Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I boil on my fryer, I usually experience some smoking from the burner, and yellow flame.

The yellow flame is a clear indication that you're producing CO. I've noticed that the cheap turkey fryers do this after a few uses, and especially if you let it get gunked up or rusted.

Complete combustion of propane
C3H8+5O2--->3CO2+4H2O

Incomplete combustion of propane
2C3H8+7O2--->6CO+8H2O

So with a perfect set up and complete combustion, you get CO2 - which is a poisonous gas that's heavier than air, and with an imperfect set up with incomplete combustion you get CO - a poisonous gas that's slightly lighter than air.

I guess the choice is do you hope to acheive perfect combustion and fill up your basement with toxic gas starting from ground level and working up or do you hope for imperfect combustion and fill your basement with toxic gas from ceiling level working down?

Either way, it's a bad idea.

This thread just made me very nervous, I've been brewing with a turkey fryer propane burner in my kitchen for a few years, 20-30 all-grain batches. I open plenty of windows and there's no basement below me. I can adjust the flame everytime so I get it to a balanced flame (I think) with no yellow flames. Have I been pushing my luck this whole time?

This thread just made me very nervous, I've been brewing with a turkey fryer propane burner in my kitchen for a few years, 20-30 all-grain batches. I open plenty of windows and there's no basement below me. I can adjust the flame everytime so I get it to a balanced flame (I think) with no yellow flames. Have I been pushing my luck this whole time?

it should make you very nervous. there are reasons the turkey fryers have warnings on them to not use them inside... and it's not just because of a possible oil fire either. are there others that live in the house with you? think of them and then take it outside..

On top of everything that's already been said, isn't it also the case that using turkey fryers indoors may violate certain homeowners insurance policies as they clearly state they're intended for outdoor use?

Oh well atleast here its illegal to store propane below ground level
Insurance company will be happy to not having to pay out any fire damage

yes you have

I have a late friend who kept a propane bottle in his basement, it leaked, and when it pooled around the water heater, his house came off the foundation. Although this is not what he died of, he could have.

Barry

So I am setting up a room in my basement for my brewery. I plan on using propane turkey fryers for my HLT and Brew Kettle. Do I need to install some sort of exhaust fan because of the burners?

Go with NATURAL GAS not propane, a CO detector, a fan and exhaust like Joe:
[ame]http://youtu.be/Zk6d1dy9jOc[/ame]

i do it in the garage with the door open....works for me ;)

Your neighbors must love you! ;)

Couldn't resist, sorry. all kidding aside, I do my brewing in the garage with the door and window open too. Works well even in the winter with the door only 1/3 open the CO detector hasn't had anything to say about it.

Never would I consider using propane in the house. Not with 3 kids and a wife inside!

Not to troll here, but I did an informal survey of posters' locations while reading this thread and noticed a regional difference. Posters from the midwest were more sympathetic, even if they were against using propane in the house, whereas posters from outside the midwest were less sympathetic.

I don't think people from outside the midwest quite realize how cold -40F is. In certain circumstances, burning propane indoors is pretty common in the midwest.

For the OP, I wouldn't do it, man. I'd convert my ice-fishing shack into a ice-brewing shack and move it outside.

Threads like this remind me of a thread I saw many years ago on a car forum, where someone was asking, "Where do I drill the hole in my gas tank for the nitrous?" He got a few sarcastic answers before some more responsible forum members realized that the poor lad was likely to kill himself and others if no one clued him in quickly. He had the NOS kit and drill in hand and was ready to start experimenting!

Back on topic, aside from the seemingly obvious CO, CO2 (which can also be deadly in high concentrations!) and fire hazards, you will also have a tremendous amount of water vapor, heat, and odor to deal with (although I suppose the odor can be a nice thing if the spouse doesn't mind!) Doing a partial boil extract kit on the stovetop is nothing compared to a vigorous full boil on a turkey fryer, plus all the moisture from heating strike water, sparge water, etc.--all that moisture needs to go somewhere eventually! Even full electric rigs should have a ventilation system in place for this reason.

I'd recommend going for it, but making sure you were completely hammered holding a newborn child. You should also make sure the area is packed with explosives, preferably fireworks for the neighbors. Life insurance might seem like a good idea, but it's not. Save the cash and instead of upping your policy at work send a check or money order payable to the Bin Laden memorial fund. These are all equally awesome ideas.

Have fun finding a forum that tells you exactly what you want to hear...but I'd rather just talk to my mom if I was looking for that. She thinks it's cute I'm retarded.

I live out in the boonies and my house is run from a propane tank. My hot water heater, furnace and kitchen stove all use propane. It can be done, just need to have the appropriate amount of ventilation and makeup air to be safe. And both the hot water heater and furnace are exhausted to the outside. I personally built a clone of "the electric brewery" just because of this issue.

Barry

My hot water heater is NG and is vented like all forms of combustion inside the home. The difference is purpose built appliances certified to be installed and used inside the home and a turkey cooker with warnings not to use inside.

Your neighbors must love you! ;)

Couldn't resist, sorry. all kidding aside, I do my brewing in the garage with the door and window open too. Works well even in the winter with the door only 1/3 open the CO detector hasn't had anything to say about it.

Never would I consider using propane in the house. Not with 3 kids and a wife inside!

I swear my nosy a$$ neighbors think I'm cooking up meth every time I brew...they walk by my garage and must be thinking to themselves "shouldn't he be doing that somewhere where we all can't see him".

Back