Basement Brewery Build - Brewery 3.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamorgan3777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, like many of the others that have been captured in the annuls of HBT, I wanted to post my build. The reasons are many, but mainly, to keep me on task (dont want to keep people waiting for posts) and because I have learned so much from so many that I want to be part of the pay it forward crowd.

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

Here is the space. Its a ~7'x10' space behind the bathroom in our basement. It used to be a store room, but I got rid of all that crap and made room for a brewery. I have been in the garage for the past 4+ years and used gas (V1.0) and induction (V2.0). Now I am bringing full PSD controlled electric into the basement. Other motivations are a dedicated cleanup space, hot and cold running water, and year round brewing ability.

The back wall has hot and cold water access as well as a drain. I just added 240V service.

The idea is to have a bench along the stud wall at the far left end (facing) will be a wine fridge with fermenter. The temperature in the basement is pretty well controlled, so that will come later. In the center will be the brew pot and hood. I do all BIAB so I plan to incorporate a lift for the grain bag. On the right will be the stainless 24"x24" sink with pre-rinse faucet. I will run the system off the induction burner until I get all the construction completed then I plan to upgrade to PID control.

I have some convenience features I plan to put in as well. A pot filler faucet that will double as a supply line for the plate chiller, and I want to do a sort of stencil on the concrete wall. I need a name for the brewery and then need to come up with a logo.

So, I hope to have many posts and updates along the way. I will share here early and often.

Good luck... from my own experience building three basement breweries (in the midst of No. 3)- it can be a frustrating process at times, but ultimately very worth it!

:mug:

My wife wants my brewing out of the kitchen. I'm hoping to convince her to give me a dedicated space in the basement instead. Good luck on your project!

So I got the soffit framed up and the side wall started. I will eventually have a door to the area, but for now am leaving it open.

Built into the soffit will be a hood of sorts. More like a recess into the soffit with the blower mounted directly into it. I will line the interior of the recess with some sort of water proof material (tile, sheet metal, flexseal are all options). I also plan to mount the switch for the blower into the soffit.

There will be 4 can lights mounted in there as well. The soffit is 24" deep and matches the depth of the bench that I plan to build.

Next up wiring and plumbing.

IMG_0122[1].jpg
IMG_0123[1].jpg

I'm horrible at updating. Will try to post some pictures this evening.

I am also horrible at drywall as you will see in the pictures.

Rough Plumbing = Done
Electrical = Done
Hood and Venting = Mostly done, need finish trim and calking
Drywall = Mostly done, need to finish coat back wall and sand things smooth

Up next:
Paint
Install Sink
Build and install bench
Hook up components
Try a test Brew!

Like I said above, rough plumbing and electrical are done. Working on the drywall.

I hemmed and hawed about what to cover the walls with. I ended up going with standard green board. I plan to do a couple coats of Kilz with a couple coats of standard latex paint. I dont plan to get that much water on the walls anyway. I thought about tiling and even considered putting on vinyl tile and I may do that for a backsplash of sorts.

I forgot to get pictures of the hood. Ill try to get some of those tonight.
Overall area
IMG_0128[1].jpg

Stubs for sink. I plan to make a cover for this area rather than try and drywall around it.
IMG_0129[1].jpg

Stub for Pot Filler
IMG_0131[1].jpg

Fiberglass reinforced panels come in 4x8' and are easy to slap up with construction adhesive. Not the most beautiful finish in the world but is water proof.

Fiberglass reinforced panels come in 4x8' and are easy to slap up with construction adhesive. Not the most beautiful finish in the world but is water proof.

this is what i did. previous home owner had some drywall up in the basement brew area and rather than screw around with patching holes, taping, sanding, painting, etc., i filled in the one panel joint, rough sanded it and glued frp over everything.it was a bit of a chore putting it up by myself (the frp panels are pretty floppy) but with a helper, no worries. the stuff isn't heavy, just tough to handle alone.

Back