Basement Bar Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasert39

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After two years of falling over in the new house, I got the clearance to build something to lean on while drinking homebrew. Figured I put this thread together to keep the pictures in one place, and maybe get an opinion or two from HBT members.

Basically going to end up being about and "L" shaped bar with both sections being about 8 feet long, still up in the air about the finishing of the bar top, I by no means am a carpenter but have figured out how to use a saw and drill over the years. Anyway, framing is finished hoping to have it skinned with plywood by the end of the week. Cheers.

bar1.jpg

bar2.jpg

bar3.jpg

adding plumbing?

At this point no, another project that will be happening in the house shortly is a bathroom reno. While the plumber is here I will probably have a small sink installed next to the refrigerator that you see in the background. No exactly idea but the wall next to the kegerator is concrete due to a fireplace clean out that is located on the other side of the wall, so that location is pretty much what I am stuck with. The wall that is to the left of the refrigerator is a bathroom, shouldn't be hard to tap into those lines.

A maple would look really nice, and a black top with some lights reflecting down.

I was able to get the outside of the bar covered with plywood, nothing different on the inside. Started playing with an old router I have around the house to get some practice, the footrest is my next goal.

bar4.jpg

bar5.jpg

bar6.jpg

I built a bar before in someone else's house. We wrapped the bar with some 1/8 inch oak (I think it was oak), stained it, then added some shadow boxes. The shadow boxes really gave the bar a professional look. They are really easy to do too. You can also stain the shadow boxes a different color to make some other things in the bar stand out. As for the top. We used oak again. We jointed together a few 1x6 pieces, stained them, then day by day covered it with polyurethane. It came out looking sweet. I wish I still had the pictures. I think the most expensive part was the arm rail. But you don't necessarily need it. You should definitely put shadow boxes on it though. It takes it from looking good to looking great.

Easter Bunny didn't make it to my house, so I got to work in my basement...foot rails attached, routed and sanded, some initial finish moulding and bar top cut (not attached yet)...cheers.

bar7.jpg

bar8.jpg

bar9.jpg

Man this bar is turning out very nice, are you building that mini fridge into the bar?

Man this bar is turning out very nice, are you building that mini fridge into the bar?

Sort of I guess...I am going to replace the top to match the bar top and add another tower to it, when it's all said and I done I will have the space to serve five different homebrews at one time. Thanks for the compliment hopefully I'll get some more time to work on it this evening.

Just an update keeping the pictures in order for myself...bar top stained (first two pictures) then showing one coat of poly. Also refinished the top of the kegerator, will now have two towers, giving me the ability to run five hombrew kegs at once, or one commerical and three homebrews. Should have the arms rails completed today between coats of poly...Cheers.

bar14.jpg

bar15.jpg

bar16.jpg

thanks, guys...actually coming along better than I anticipated. Here is another picture I found, shows the grain on the bar top alot better.

bar17.jpg

bar top finished arm rails temporarily in place, just couldn't wait to see how it would look. Also waiting for the last coat of poly to dry on the kegerator before I attach the towers...anyway here is where I am today!

bar.jpg

bar1.jpg

bar2.jpg

thanks for the compliment. Bottom needs to be sanded and stained, I'm getting my sister to make some stencils for me that will read "MyLastName's Pub" and "Est. 2009" (2009 is when we moved into the house, I'm not crazy, haha) that will be painted onto a sort of panel that I am working on and attached to the sides of the bar.

been a while since I added anything to this thread, if anyone is still following along, got a lot done yesterday, started the area behind the bar just going to be some storage and an area for liquor bottles. I need to trim out the edges and get a piece of plywood cut to serve as the "countertop" area back there. Getting close to completion, also you can see the new phillies and sierra nevada tap handles I score on ebay.

bar18.jpg

bar19.jpg

bar20.jpg

Thanks guys....coming along really nicely, shouldn't take too much longer to complete. Having people at the house fir cinco de mayo so the pressure is on!

As far as dimensions are concerned, both sides of the bar are a little over 8 feet long. Not exactly planned that way but worked out to be even on both sides

here are some more shots of the shelf area, sort of difficult to get a good picture of the whole area since it's closer to the wall. I was able to get the facing of the shelf area on today and attached the top...nail hole filling, sanding, staining and poly to follow...almost finished!

bar21.jpg

bar22.jpg

bar23.jpg

just incase anyone is still wondering about this one...i did finish it up but am having a difficult time sending picture from my phone, I'll get them up soon hopefully

just read through this whole thread, great build man. Wish I had the time and/or funds for this

Here is the final picture I have of the bar build, sorry for the bad cell phone picture quality. If you happen to have any questions fire away...bottom line, I can keep up to five kegs on tap at all times (3 in fridge and two in kegerator).

bar24.jpg

bar25.jpg

bar27.jpg

bar28.jpg

bar26.jpg

Nice build, I've been trying to plan out something similar but can't decide on what to do with the interior. Did you skin the inside before you put in the shelving or did you stain the studs and the back of the exterior sheet?

I ended up skinning the interior with plywood and attaching the shelving to it. Probably could have done it either way, but figure that a little extra support (not that it needed it) wouldn't hurt. Thanks.

Sooner or later I am going to build a cabinet and shelves to fit next to the refrigerator to store glasses and stuff that I have accumulated over the years.

Back