Base Malts - Whats the difference in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Base Malts - Whats the difference in

Belgian Pale Ale Malt and your typical Brewers 2-Row Malt.

Is Belgian Pale Ale Malt a 2-row malt?

more info, please. what company is it from?

belgian pale malt is typically more grainy than american, IMO...with color and maltiness somewhere in between marris otter and american 2-row.

Is Belgian Pale Ale Malt a 2-row malt?
yeah, pretty much all barley that's used for brewing is either 2 row or 6 row. when it's not specified, it's usually 2 row. belgian pale, maris otter, german pilsener, just about all crystal and roasted malts are two row malts.

when a recipe just calls for "two row," it's usually referring to a pale malt. if i have a choice, i try to use a belgian pale for belgian beers, english pale for english beers, etc. but i don't worry too much about it.

six row malt has more enzymes per pound than two row. six row is often used when a large portion of the grist is composed of adjuncts that lack the enzymes to convert themselves. it also has more husk material which supposedly makes it easier to lauter, and is usually a little cheaper.

two row is said to have a better flavor, although i can't say i've personally tasted the two back to back. it would be interesting to brew the same recipe once with two row and once with six row and note the differences, maybe i'll try that some day.

OK - great - thanks - what confused me was Some recipes called for 2-row and some for Belgian Pale Ale which I THOUGHT was 2-row. So I was wondering why "2-row" was not affixed to Belgian Pale Ale.

For instance
Why not

Brewers 2-Row Malt (Rahr)
Belgian Pale Ale 2-Row Malt

Just making sure what I thought was right . . .was right

Back