Base Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
Hello,

New to home brewing and have to brew Gluten free beers and Ale's. My base ingredients are usually dark Sorghum, White Sorghum, Rice Syrup or Honey. I want to brew a holiday beer with differnet hops, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Orange peel etc. It seems like a lot of the recipies use a lighter syrup than darker for this type of beer, is this accurate ? Or is it really up to personal taste. Thanks

I don't know the answer to your question. But you might get more responses in the Gluten Free forum.

HI, thanks, I was just looking for a general opinion as to dark vs. light for the base ingredients.

Most Holiday/Seasonal/Spiced beers I've seen tend to be somewhat darker, at least a medium Amber in color, but could well be a Dark Amber too. The darker color from using some darker malt or syrup give it a darker flavor backbone that seems to work well with spices.
IMO, for presentation (and flavor profile) the resulting beer should still be rather translucent in the end, up to a dark reddish copper, but not opaque (such as a Porter or Stout).

Back