base grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelpeach76

Reaction score
How about using all vienna as your base...or would it be better to mix it with 2 row? If I was making a recipe using 10lbs of base grain could all 10 be vienna or would it be better to maybe do a certain % of 2 row and a certain % of vienna? If so, how much vienna would be too much?

How about using all vienna as your base...or would it be better to mix it with 2 row? If I was making a recipe using 10lbs of base grain could all 10 be vienna or would it be better to maybe do a certain % of 2 row and a certain % of vienna? If so, how much vienna would be too much?

What kind of beer are you making or do you want to make? The percentage of Vienna is up to you. 100% Vienna makes a great, surprise, Vienna lager. Vienna is also right at home in many traditional brews like Festbiers and bocks and could certainly be mixed into the grist of a long list of beers.

OK, I just brewed a Pale Ale (extract& some grains)and love the Hop level in it, but it's missing a good malty middle if that makes sense... Someone said to increase my boil time to 90 min and add some either Vienna or Munich malt to my fermentables... Which one? How much?

Yeah, with the other grains & Hops, right? 150* for an hour... 170-190* for 45 min then add extract & boil for 90 min.

I think that 50/50 Munich Vienna is great if you are brewing a hoppy beer, or if you just want some maltyness.

Generally I usually make darker beers: browns, reds, ambers, porters, stouts... I guess vienna would work well with those...?

Back