Base grains vs. specialty grains (newbie)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfej50

Reaction score
I'd like to start BIAB, but I have a question. In extract brewing the specialty grains are added in the boil. In BIAB, would the specialty grains be added to the mash or kept out until the boil (along with the hops)?

I'd like to start BIAB, but I have a question. In extract brewing the specialty grains are added in the boil.

No, they are never added to the boil. In extract brewing, the grains are steeped at 150-160 degrees for 20-45 minutes, then removed from the wort and then the wort brought to a boil.

In AG brewing, the same applies but it's just easier to put all the grains together and mash them all at once instead of separating them out.

You were doing it wrong. :D

No, it was my memory that was failing. My description was off. Now that I remember what I actually did, my question to the forum was stupid. I was actually steeping at about 150 F for about 20 minutes before the boil. But with BIAB the steep is longer and covering helps maintain temp. (Of course the boil is uncovered.) Makes sense to steep all grains together. Never mind.

No, it was my memory that was failing. My description was off. Now that I remember what I actually did, my question to the forum was stupid. I was actually steeping at about 150 F for about 20 minutes before the boil. But with BIAB the steep is longer and covering helps maintain temp. (Of course the boil is uncovered.) Makes sense to steep all grains together. Never mind.

This isn't necessarily true. Some of us are experimenting with short mash times. I know that 30 minutes works with BIAB and so does 20 but 10 is still under investigation.:rockin:

Latest posts

Back