Barrel tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorCAD

Reaction score
Went to Livermore, CA last week and stopped at a small (100% organic) winery for a tasting. They were not very busy so they asked if we would like to do some barrel tasting of their 2008 wines.

Interesting, to say the least!

The wine was great, and will only get better as it ages in the barrels. They were selling futures on that particular batch.

The most interesting thing to me, a home winemaker, was the total lack of sanitation. We are taught and warned to sterilize, sterelize, sterilize. They opened the bungs by hand, dipped wine thiefs right off the wall, puored into used glasses, made blends of 2 wines with the same wine thief and put the bung back in with no thought to sterilization. Guess it isn't as important as we make it out to be.

I did talk to their head winemaker about filtering, his advice was to only filter whites. No reasoning, but he has been doing it that way all of his life.

"sterilisation" doesn't work anyway, you can never kill off all the bugs and they are in the air so re-infect straight away. Wineries are very fussy about cleaning, they use heaps of water cleaning every surface so dirt which would harbour bugs doesn't build up. That wine thief would get cleaned every day, but how would you sterilise a barrel? When making wine you work with, not against nature. If you keep everything clean you stop populations of bugs building up, and your own cultures can dominate.

I love barrel tastings, you can learn a lot about how wine ages.

Back