Barrel Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nestoridae

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm planning to prepare my own vermouth at home and then age it in an oak barrel (around 10L). WAIT, I know this is a Beer forum. I've been home brewing beer for several years now.

I'm thinking AFTER I drink all that vermouth, I wanted to brew beer and then use that barell to age it. I'm asking for advice to my fellow brewers.

- I've heard that as vermouth has lots of herbs, the beer would change its taste too much. In fact I've been trying to find online a vermouth barrel aged beer with poor luck. Is it a bad idea? What do you think?

- What stile of beer would match with the barrel flavour? I'm thinking a porter or a Belgian Ale, but belgian Ales are already sweet...

I'd be glad if anyone with experience threw me some advice.

I have never aged beer in any barrels, but I have drunk vermouth and lots of beer. I think a Porter or an Imperial Porter/ Black IPA with an aggressive hop schedule might work. A Belgian Pale also sounds good.

Back