Barrel Aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klickitat

Reaction score
I know this might go into apple wine, but what percentage of alcohol does a cider/wine need to be to be able to age in an oak barrel long term, say up to three years?

I am wanting to experiment with three types of barrels, used wine, new charred and used bourbon. I will of course taste at three and six months, but would also like to see if long term aging brings out anything I like.

I know this might go into apple wine, but what percentage of alcohol does a cider/wine need to be to be able to age in an oak barrel long term, say up to three years?

I am wanting to experiment with three types of barrels, used wine, new charred and used bourbon. I will of course taste at three and six months, but would also like to see if long term aging brings out anything I like.

Even with sulfiting, I would not age anything under 12% for three years. I'd probably go a bit higher than that, to be sure that the wine can stand up to a long bit of age. Red wines tend to do better, because of the high tannin content, and they can age well. Cider does not age particularly well, like other low ABV white wines.

Back