Barrel aging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalman1021

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just obtained a 5.5 gallon oak barrel, first it had whiskey aged in it, and then amarone wine. My queston is does any one know of any one know of any online/ offline resources to help identify beer styles that could potentially work well with the whiskey and wine, when it comes to aging. I'm a little unsure of what style beer I should age in it, ad don't have experience with barrel aging, so I thought I would reach out. Any help, and input would be greatly appreciated.

~Kalman1021

off the top of my head these come to mind:
Stouts
Scotch ales
Rye ales

Some people have done well with big IPA's as well.

I don't have a lot of experience with them either, but when I got mine I was able to find some good advice searching these threads.

Don't do like I've done though....fill it and get to lazy to empty. I have a Rye Pale Ale in there that's been in it for like 6 months...my goal was 1 month. I've decided to let it go for a year and then see if I have a sour or not...if not I plan to use it to mix with future Rye Pales in varying concentrations. If so, I'm drinking 5 gallons of wild-barrel-rye-pale to my noggin. Rule #1 for me - Never dump. :)

Barley wine always screams whisky barrel to me (someday I will get to do this) and the wine probably wouldn't hurt either.

Back