Barrel aging Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circitmage

Reaction score
So I've been brewing as a newb for 25+ years ... not thinking too much about what I'm doing, why, how, etc...) ... I've had hits and misses (prolly more misses than hits) but the misses got bottled and given away ;-) ... I've only recently gotten "serious" and am trying to get a Metheglin that is out-of-this-world ... I have the base recipe down (been making for years to rave reviews) ... typically bring it in at around 1.09OG and finish it out in secondary with a very nice bite from whole Cloves, Red Pepper, Cardamon and Cinnamon ... now I'm thinking about barrel aging it ... what can I expect? ... any pointers? e.g. what char level is ideal, wood variety, time, temp, etc... should I be thinking about other variables? ... Any barrel manufacturers that you recommend? avoid?

I've had hits and misses (prolly more misses than hits) but the misses got bottled and given away ;-)

🤣🤣🤣 Love that....bottle & give away the duds. I wish I had some experience with barrels that I could offer, but, sorry to say I can't help. That was just too funny to not chime in😂

It all depends on what contribution you want from the barrel.
A barrel that has been used for spirits, you will get the influence of whatever spirit was in the barrel last.
Ditto with a wine/port/sherry barrel, although the bugs from sherry will start doing their thing on the mead.
The freshness of the barrel counts as well.
A french white oak barrel, uncharred, will be different than a Sinatra cut high char.
Ideally the barrel needs to be full. Will you be able to fill it all the way up>
A ten gallon barrel can typically hold~11.5 gallons, and depending on how long it ages, it will need to be topped off due to absorption of the wood and the thieving angel.

How long do you plan on aging and will you be able to replace it quickly upon emptying the barrel?

I have three 10 gallon barrels.
Two can from Sons of Liberty Distillery and one from Black Patch Distilling. The first two had whiskey and are now sour solaras, the third had rye whiskey and has had a RIS, Olde ale, A Belgian Quad, and now a belgian Golden Strong.
Due to my new position, I'm not home very much and work ~5000 miles from home. The quad spent too much time in there and is too oaky, and will need another beer brewed to blend with it to "tone it down".

So as you see, one can become a "slave to the barrel" and you need to like barrel aged drinks. It's been in there and needs to be replaced, it will seem that you are always having to brew for the barrel, I realize mead is different and takes less effort, but there can be a greater expenditure. And if it goes sour, are you willing to accept the fact that it is what it is and the barrel will have to be retired or alway make sour products?

Just a few thing to think about.

Another thing, given the volume to surface ratio of smaller barrels, with a ten gallon barrel, the first batch in, you won't want to leave it in there more than about three months or so, next batch, no more than four to six months, the next batches can progressively stay a bit longer each time. My Belgian Quad was 13-15% ABV and ended up being in there for a year, due to job, moving and a death in the family. So now I have a bunch of over oaked Belgian Quad, I need to brew another when I have time and will end up with ~20 gallons of oak aged Quad, that will end up aging longer in the kegs as one can't drink many of those beers in a sitting. What will be the plans for the barrel when you have run three, for or five batches through it, when it doesn't provide the character you are looking for? An end table, or cut it in half and make planters, or something else? I've read that Vinne @ RR has a way where stainless steel chains are put in the barrel and it tumbled for a while to open up fresh areas to rejuvenate them so to speak, no idea as to weather that"s true or not, just what I heard or read somewhere. A long section of stainless steel chain would seem like it could easily cost more than another barrel.

A barrel that has been used for spirits, you will get the influence of whatever spirit was in the barrel last.
Ditto with a wine/port/sherry barrel, although the bugs from sherry will start doing their thing on the mead.
The freshness of the barrel counts as well.
A french white oak barrel, uncharred, will be different than a Sinatra cut high char.
Fantastic reminders - Thanks

Ideally the barrel needs to be full. Will you be able to fill it all the way up>
My plan is to always have some of my fave Metheglin around ... I've been brewing 5 gallon batches for years and generally have at least 4-8 gallons around, but a friend and I are thinking about getting a more substantial run going ... right now, I have 15 gallons of the Metheglin (5 gallon batches) in secondary and some other experiments going ... basically, I'll always be able to fill up a 5 or 10 gallon barrel if my plans stay on track

How long do you plan on aging and will you be able to replace it quickly upon emptying the barrel?
Dunno at all ... will have to experiment and leverage the expertise in this group ;-)

Here's another idea:
Since your plans seem to be, keeping the same product in the barrel, you can fill the barrel, when it gets to the point where you are happy, pull out half or say 2/3 and fill it up blending in new with the old and and have a faster turnover for the next batch.

But that's a lot of mead to have around.

FWIW- I paid ~$200 each with shipping for the first two, and $100 for the last one and picked it up at the distillery.

Another thing, given the volume to surface ratio of smaller barrels, with a ten gallon barrel, the first batch in, you won't want to leave it in there more than about three months or so, next batch, no more than four to six months, the next batches can progressively stay a bit longer each time.
Great point!

What will be the plans for the barrel when you have run three, for or five batches through it, when it doesn't provide the character you are looking for? An end table, or cut it in half and make planters, or something else? I've read that Vinne @ RR has a way where stainless steel chains are put in the barrel and it tumbled for a while to open up fresh areas to rejuvenate them so to speak, no idea as to weather that"s true or not, just what I heard or read somewhere. A long section of stainless steel chain would seem like it could easily cost more than another barrel.
Not too sure about what will happen after they've given up the flavor ... I can absolutely use them around the house/garden/rentals etc... but the barrel rejuvenation idea is appealing ... cross that bridge later ;-)

Last edited:
Back