barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verbal144

Reaction score
i've noticed a few barleywine recipes online here and am intrigued by the fact it should be aged so long but i've never tried a barleywine. anyone have any suggestions on brands i should try or stay away from if i can find them? price?

also, being from TN, we can buy beer anywhere but have separate liquor stores for liquor and wine. can i assume since barleywine is so high in alc that i'd have to find it at a liquor store around here?

Sierra Nevada is supposed to have a pretty good barley wine, I personally havent tried it though. I am intrested in this as well as I have never tried barley wine and would like to find some good ones to sample also.

I like Anchor Steam's Old Foghorn. Been a bit but I seem to remember it was a bit more of the English style, not as hoppy as the Sierra Nevada barleywine. Sierra Nevada does make a good barleywine, it just is a bit too much hoppy goodness for my tastes.

You might also try North Coast Old Stock Ale. I highly recommend setting it back for a while. I bought a 4-pack and tried one right away and it was rather harsh. 6 months later and it has aged well and the flavours are coming together. They do say to age it on the packaging.

Terje

Back