Barleywine recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWS

Reaction score
Looking to do a BarleyWine.... Let me know what you think and recommendations to better it. Going to do it Extract, because the day I am going to brew I will be short on time so can't do a 5 hr all grain day.

American BarleyWine
8oz Carapils
8oz Caramel 40
8oz Caramel 120
All Steeped 30 minutes at 155-160 in 3.5-4 gallons water

12 lbs Pale LME and begin boil
3oz Magnum at 60 mins
3oz Centennial at 60 mins
1lbs Amber DME added at 30 mins
1oz Cascade at 15 mins

Add water to make 5.5 gallons

Use 2 packages of WLP001 in 2L starter

Estimation on Fermentation is 14-21 days Primary at 65, Secondary for maybe two months, bottle condition for 3 months and try it. I assume it will take longer in the bottle, was going to put most of it in 22oz bottle with remaining into 12 so I can taste test after 3 months in bottle.

Let me know if this is completely in the wrong direction.

I have also heard of some people adding champagne yeast into the secondary...any advice whether or not that is good?

6 oz of high AA% hops for bittering is probably more than you need. I'd probably also drop the carapils, you should have enough unfermentables just from the high OG and the other crystal malts. Why the mid-boil addition of extract?

Otherwise looks good, hope it turns out well.

The amount of bittering hops sounds high, I would just add more later ie 1oz at 60, 1oz at 15 1oz at flame out. Why not use safale us-05? I believe it is the same yeast. I made a 1.085 og barley wine using 05 and it is down to 1.006 after 2 week primary and three month secondary. I just took a gravity reading and it is amazing. I am going to dry hop it tomorrow, and let it sit for 2 months and hope it is carbed.

+1, too much bittering hops and carapils.

don't bother with the champagne yeast, its won't do anything for this.

Why not use safale us-05? I believe it is the same yeast. I made a 1.085 og barley wine using 05 and it is down to 1.006 after 2 week primary and three month secondary. I just took a gravity reading and it is amazing.

I think you answered your own question. While some people claim it is the same strain, I find it to have a much higher attenuation (and not quite as clean). I really like it for styles I want to dry out, but that isn't what I'd go for in a barleywine.

6 oz of high AA% hops for bittering is probably more than you need. I'd probably also drop the carapils, you should have enough unfermentables just from the high OG and the other crystal malts. Why the mid-boil addition of extract?

Otherwise looks good, hope it turns out well.

The mid-boil extract addition was because comparing some recipes I had seen mid boil additions and using Beer smith, it added a little bit to the overall OG.

Beersmith is also the reason i have the big hops addition. I don't know if I have an outdated version, or if I was putting in the wrong % of the hops, but using BS, this is how much it wanted me to add to come out to a normal hops addition for a barleywine.

I agree with the comment from Oldsock. US-05 is great for APA's and stuff I want to get a little more dryer, but for the barleywine I was looking for a little more smoother flaver.

Back