Barleywine/Partigyle Planning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
I've been wanting to brew a stong Barleywine for a while, but never got around to it. I started thinking about this last night and I'm contemplating doing 2 mashes (each with a slightly different grainbill), and collecting 3.25-3.5 gallons of first runnings from both mashes for the Barleywine. That's the easy part.

I would then sparge both mashes until the total volume of remaining first runnings and sparges totals 6.5 gallons for *each* mash, resulting in the collection of three 6.5 gallon worts to be boiled.

I don't have the grainbill or hopbill nailed down yet, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how to calculate estimated OG of the two partigyle batches - which is obviously needed to predict IBUs. For the sake of calculations, assume that the target OG is 1.120.

I've done a couple of searches on and off today but haven't been able to locate a good source for this information. Anyone have any suggestions?

Well, it is somewhat specific to your own process but I'd start by looking at your runnings percentages. For my last batch (11.5 gallons) I collected:

4 gallons of 1.092 (368 points)
4 gallons of 1.052 (208 points)
5.5 gallons of 1.022 (121 points)

You can see that my first runnings were 368/697 or 52% of my total gravity.
I think that's pretty typical for me but these are the only ones I wrote down and noted in my BTP file.

Do you really need to know the estimated gravity? Once you have the wort in hand, you can just measure it. Then weight out your hops on the fly.

Beerthoven said:
Do you really need to know the estimated gravity? Once you have the wort in hand, you can just measure it. Then weight out your hops on the fly.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, albeit in quite a while. In my planning/research this has been the only thing that would really make since (for me) and what I plan on doing. That is if/when I do it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

My experiences are about the same 50%, 33%, 16%, so you'd have one @ 1.120 and two @ 1.060

Beerthoven said:

No, I don't *need* to, but I'd prefer to plan out the details of this brew as much as I possibly can.

david_42 said:
My experiences are about the same 50%, 33%, 16%, so you'd have one @ 1.120 and two @ 1.060
I think I saw an article somwhere that showed this. It may depend on your system, but this should be close. I would use it for hop planning and adjust slightly once you measure the actual gravities on brew day.

Back