Barleywine on white labs california ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
I want to brew a barleywine and pitch it onto an yeast cake of white labs california ale yeast. I would like to be at about 10%abv and have a nice malty flavor with some cascade hops i think. Will this be a good yeast cake to stand up to 10% abv? Anyone got a recipe?

grrtt78 said:
I want to brew a barleywine and pitch it onto an yeast cake of white labs california ale yeast. I would like to be at about 10%abv and have a nice malty flavor with some cascade hops i think. Will this be a good yeast cake to stand up to 10% abv? Anyone got a recipe?

Actually, for an American Barleywine, that is the preferred yeast.

And you should have just about enough, provided you are pitching onto a yeast cake from a beer that was at least 1.050 OG.

grrtt78 said:

Yes on the yeast.

90% pale ale malt
5% crystal 40
5% honey malt (or victory)

75 IBUs of chinook or columbus for 60 minutes
15 IBUs of cascade for 20 minutes
then either put some cascades in to steep or dry hop.

Back