Barleywine in memory of my dads dog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSBrewer83

Reaction score
My dads dog passed suddenly a couple months ago. In memory we want to brew a barleywine and bottle it with labels. The recipe is Old Ruffian

Batch Size: 6.25 gal
Boil Size: 10.54 gal
Color: 10.1 SRM
Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.116 (26.9° P)
Est FG: 1.029 SG (7.3° P)
ABV: 11.7%

Ingredients Amount Name Type #
26 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
10.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
10.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
5.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
3.5 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 60 min
2.0 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Boil 30 min
3.0 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Boil 5 min

I want to add oak cubes that have been soaked in some johhnie walker black. I have never done this but think it might add some good flavor. My question is how long should the oak cubes soak? When should I add them to the beer? How long do I keep them in the beer?

I plan on bottle conditioning this beer so that it will be ready around Christmas time. Any suggestions are welcome.

Nice, my first homebrew was the day after my cat passed, so I named it after the cat. I've since developed a recipe named after our late dog using ingredients related to her origins (Scotland) but with a Canadian twist.

I think, based on boil and batch size, you meant to have a longer boil than 60 min? I would suggest 120 - 180 min to get the good barleywine characteristics goin'.

I don't have the experience to critique beyond that, but I think you're on the right track keeping the grain bill simple and mostly pale malt. Oak cubes can stay in the beer a lot longer than oak chips, as their surface area is much smaller. From what I know, chips you'd be looking at days to maaaybe weeks but with cubes you can leave in for weeks to months. You'll want to periodically taste-test of course. I think the longer the better for the spirit soak, so if you're planning to use them, might as well get soaking now.

I want to add oak cubes that have been soaked in some johhnie walker black. I have never done this but think it might add some good flavor. My question is how long should the oak cubes soak? When should I add them to the beer? How long do I keep them in the beer?

I plan on bottle conditioning this beer so that it will be ready around Christmas time. Any suggestions are welcome.

I brewed a 5-gallon batch of RIS last year and used oak cubes soaked in Maker's Mark. It lent a nice, "barrel-aged" flavor.

I put 2 oz. of medium-toasted oak cubes in a small jelly jar, topped it off with bourbon and let it sit for about 2 weeks with the lid tight. When I racked the beer to secondary, I dumped in the cubes, along with the whiskey. It aged in secondary for 3 months before I bottled.

Be sure to use cubes and not chips. The chips tend to leach out tannins from the oak if used more than a few weeks.

You're boiling off 4.25 gallons in 60 mins. What do you use to heat the wort. This is incredible.

LOL! whoops. The boil time should be 90 minutes and I think I must have changed my boil off rate on accident with beersmith. I was messing around with some stuff earlier. I will get that fixed.

I brewed a 5-gallon batch of RIS last year and used oak cubes soaked in Maker's Mark. It lent a nice, "barrel-aged" flavor.

I put 2 oz. of medium-toasted oak cubes in a small jelly jar, topped it off with bourbon and let it sit for about 2 weeks with the lid tight. When I racked the beer to secondary, I dumped in the cubes, along with the whiskey. It aged in secondary for 3 months before I bottled.

Be sure to use cubes and not chips. The chips tend to leach out tannins from the oak if used more than a few weeks.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds tasty.

Sorry for the loss of your dad's pet. It is a tremendous loss...

Some of the best beers I've made were memorial in nature. I love that you can toast to the lost loved one with each beer. Salute!

+1 on the three month time frame for oak cubes. I would start tasting it after about 6-8 weeks just to be sure you don't over-oak.

What kind of oak? IIRC American is the most intense oak flavor, French is the weakest, and Hungarian is somewhere in the middle. The level of toast will also make a difference. Whatever you decide on, I usually soak for at least a week and let them sit in secondary a month before I check for flavor.

Back