Barleywine Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

The Bone2

Reaction score
Doing a barleywine tomorrow. (Extract kit from LHBS).

Going to do a starter for the first time. Using WhiteLabs 099 Super High Gravity Ale Yeast.

LHBS suggested also pitching WhiteLabs 001 California Ale (not using starter for this yeast, as I only have one vessel right now).

He suggested against making (1) starter with BOTH yeasts.

Also pitching (3) crushed beanos.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

uglygoat

Reaction score
i think the super high gravity will be enough to ferment out the barely wine mate. i'd save the ca ale for another brew.

uglygoat

Reaction score
i think the super high gravity yeast ferments up to twenty percent alcohol. i wouldn't add the ca yeast.

bradsul

Flyfisherman/brewer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You need to make a starter for sure for a high gravity beer. But there's really no advantage to using 2 yeasts.

Also I wouldn't add any beano to it. Beano won't stop working just because you hit a certain gravity, you'll end up with a thin watery beer with a ton of alcohol and no real body. As far as I know, the only way to stop beano from working is to heat up the entire batch enough to denature the enzymes (which will also easily kill the yeast).

FlyingHorse

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What are your OG/FG targets?

WLP001 is pretty alcohol tolerant...if treated right, it should get you 75% attenuation even up into the 1.120 OG range. If it does that, I doubt the WLP 099 is going to do much more.

If you want a lower FG, I'd suggest some more fermentable sugars (corn sugar, or honey)...especially with an extract kit. If malt extracts are your only fermentables, you'll have a tough time going over 75% attenuation no matter what yeast you use.

McKBrew

Reaction score
I can speak from personal experience about Beano. I used some to try to fix a stuck fermentation about the time I joined this forum. I ended up with a dry, wine like nasty mess that went down the drain.