Barley Wine - Ready for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrall

Reaction score
Hello,

I started my Youngs Barley Wine kit on 25th of July. The pack said 10 days but in another thread I got told wait a while longer. That's been 3 1/2 weeks now and the little flecks of brown stuff still haven't sunk to the bottom so im thinking they will probably always be there.

I took a gravity reading and was hoping someone with more knowledge could let me know what the numbers actually mean :)

OG - 1.058
gravity today 1.006

Any advice would be great.

You can bottle anytime your FG in unchanging over at least three days.

I prefer bottling a clear beer, though, as any gunk floating in the beer will end up in the bottom of the bottle and I like less sediment in my bottles.

You could try putting the beer in a cold place for two days (like a fridge if it'll fit) to have some of the floaties fall out and to encourage the beer to clear before bottling.

You can bottle anytime your FG in unchanging over at least three days.

I prefer bottling a clear beer, though, as any gunk floating in the beer will end up in the bottom of the bottle and I like less sediment in my bottles.

You could try putting the beer in a cold place for two days (like a fridge if it'll fit) to have some of the floaties fall out and to encourage the beer to clear before bottling.

Unfortunately I have no place that's cold, I have a hut that gets cold at night but during the day its warm.

The beer seems really clear except little floaters on the top and maybe an inch down. Little brown speckles, when i put my hydrometer in a few stuck to it and they basically disintegrated when i touched them.

Back