Barley Wine pitching US05 & Burton IPA blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobe12

Reaction score
Morning all. I'm brewing a barley wine this weekend and just read an article in BYO that talks about pitching several types of yeast. The idea is to get some English character from one strain and the attenuation power from another. I currently have two yeast cakes that are ready for collecting. One is US05 from a pale ale (3 weeks old) and the other is Wyeast 1203 Burton IPA Blend (2 weeks old) from an ESB. My original idea was to pour the barley wine directly on top of the US05, but am now thinking about collecting 1/2 of each cake and pitch the two yeasts together.

So whatcha think?

If you just want the attentuation of US05 then rack on to the english yeast and let it ferm out. Once it's settling out pitch the US05. That would give you full English character with a bit more attenuation.

I agree, use the English for character first and then pitch the American for better attenuation. It will work better if you can get your temp up a little for the second pitching also

Pleas excuse my dyslexia

Back