barley wine in secondary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
i've got a barley wine that was brewed up on 1.1.06, fermented violently with the wyeast 1084 irish yeast for about two weeks, then i put it in the secondary.

i'm still debating whether i am going to leave it in the secondary till summer, or just bottle it within the month counting on the residual sugars and let it age through the winter in the bottles. i'm not really keen on priming this batch, cause it's gonna be in bottles for a long time.

the gravity is still sorta high, 1.032ish, it started at 1.096ish (i'm usually a few pints into the brew when i take readings :cross: )

thoughts, suggestions, experience in bottling/conditioning of the barley wines is much appreciated.

how about posting your recipe for this barley wine!! i'm always looking for new barley wine recipes!!!

i'd say secondary it until the end of may, mid june, then bottle and open around christmas.

the recipe is somewhere in the recipe selection... but i'm certian we added some changes last minute with the hops. i'll look it up tonight and repost tomorrow.

off the top of my head...

12 lbs of basemalt
4 lbs of caramel 60L and maybe cara-munich
6 lbs of clover honey full boil

so many hops i lost count, lotsa target, fuggles, ekg and cascade at insane incriments, my little bro is a bit of a nutter when it comes to hop additions :tank:

i brewed a barleywine dec10/05 at 1.102
by mid february it was down to 1.030
i then did a starter with lavlin ec-1118 yeast and pitched it with 2 beano tablets
i checked my gravity yesterday and it is down to 1.024 with a few bubbles still on top
i am going to bottle in 2 more weeks
my recipe suggested 2-3 months in secondary, so i am close
this is my first attempt at a barleywine so i don't want to rush it.

beano is a type of alpha amalyse(excuse the spelling) enzyme that breaks down unfermentablesugars/starches into fermentable ones. my barleywine appeared to have stalled at 1.030 mid february, but after the beano and some fresh yeast
it is down to 1.024.

why would i want to stop farting? [:)]

Bulk condition in a dark cool place and bottle in a couple months. Start drinking it around Christmas, save a bunch for a year....

I don't carbonate barley wines. I'd repitch with a wine yeast and let it work for a month.

Back