Quantcast

Barley Wine - Has anyone tried this one?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Brewman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
80
Reaction score
2
Location
Long Island NY
I have been waiting ages to get it and for Chirstmas it was under my tree, a kit for Barley Wine...... its supposed to be around 10% alcohol....

2 Packages of Amber, dry malt extract with Bittering hops (Nugget) already mixed into the dry malt
1 Package containing Crystal, Roasted Barley and Chocolate Malts (Specialty Grains), along with a cheesecloth grain bag
1 Package of Flavor hops (Cascade)
1 Package of Finishing hops (Cascade)
1 Package of Dry hops (Cascade) that are added to the fermentor without boiling
1 Package of Irish Moss (a clarifier that you use in the boil)
1 Package of Nottingham Ale or Safale Yeast
1 Package of Champagne Yeast (this is added AFTER the beer yeast stops working)
1 Package of Corn Sugar that is used to “prime” the beer just before bottling

never used chamgagne yest before......
 

The Professor

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
Location
West Jordan, UT
I haven't made one yet, but I would love to give it a try. Usually you would let it age 6 mo. to a year before you even try it, but with that recipe, you might be good to go 3-4 months after bottling.
 

arachnyd

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Location
Royal Oak, Michigan
I've made a number of them. The major consideration is patience - lots of patience (these tend to be consumed while they are still getting better with age). Still, if you are making meads, you are already used to making beverages which need a good long maturation. Currently on my mind is a "pumpkin maple barleywine" which will be presented next autumn for the squash potluck. I will post that recipe on my website when I brew it. In the meantime, you may enjoy checking out my recipe for Sasquatch Maple Barleywine. This barleywine was brewed last June and is just now getting ready for sharing.
 

NUCC98

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
Location
Providence, RI
arachnyd said:
I've made a number of them. The major consideration is patience - lots of patience (these tend to be consumed while they are still getting better with age). Still, if you are making meads, you are already used to making beverages which need a good long maturation. Currently on my mind is a "pumpkin maple barleywine" which will be presented next autumn for the squash potluck. I will post that recipe on my website when I brew it. In the meantime, you may enjoy checking out my recipe for Sasquatch Maple Barleywine. This barleywine was brewed last June and is just now getting ready for sharing.
That Maple recipe sounds really cool!! I can totally relate to consuming before it's time to, though...it is rather difficult! One question, what is the Maris Otter Malt? Just a brand, or a specific type? Thanks!
 

arachnyd

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Location
Royal Oak, Michigan
from the Brewer's Wholesale website: This variety of barley (Maris Otter) has long been the favorite of the English brewers for it's rich flavor and very forgiving brewing performance. In the field it is lower yielding than the more modern varieties, and so it is grown under contract to Crisp each year by selected Norfolk farmers. In the brewhouse excellent yields and efficient run-off make it the malt of choice for producing English style beers. This malt is produced in traditional floor malting or Saladin boxes.
 

kerryhughes1

Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Brewman said:
I have been waiting ages to get it and for Chirstmas it was under my tree, a kit for Barley Wine...... its supposed to be around 10% alcohol....

2 Packages of Amber, dry malt extract with Bittering hops (Nugget) already mixed into the dry malt
1 Package containing Crystal, Roasted Barley and Chocolate Malts (Specialty Grains), along with a cheesecloth grain bag
1 Package of Flavor hops (Cascade)
1 Package of Finishing hops (Cascade)
1 Package of Dry hops (Cascade) that are added to the fermentor without boiling
1 Package of Irish Moss (a clarifier that you use in the boil)
1 Package of Nottingham Ale or Safale Yeast
1 Package of Champagne Yeast (this is added AFTER the beer yeast stops working)
1 Package of Corn Sugar that is used to “prime” the beer just before bottling

never used chamgagne yest before......
I just bottled a batch of strong brew, Imperial Stout. It came with a pack of champagne yeast also. When I added it to the secondary, I didn't notice a bit of difference in the rate of fermentation .. as seen in the bubbles in the airlock. I guess if the brew were stuck cause of the high alcohol level it would have helped, but mine was just bubbling happily at a couple of bubbles per minute. I just drank one ... yes ... opened it after a week ... but it tastes fantastic!! Good luck with your brew! Let us know how it comes out.
 
OP
B

Brewman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
80
Reaction score
2
Location
Long Island NY
Nice just cooked up Vanilla Weisen....... and end of this month will brew up the Barleywine. I will definitely let ya guys know how it comes out........ I can't wait! :D
 

kerryhughes1

Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I just cracked open another bottle of my Imperial Stout. This beer turned out pretty amazing! I think I screwed up a little in my initial estimate of water I'd need in the initial boil ... I added about an extra 3/4 gallons to start with nearly six gallons thinking it would boil off that much. Guess not when you do it on the stove. So, my Imperial Stout came out a little less strong as usual in that class, but still stronger than your typical beer. And Oh MY ... the deep background roasty flavor from the steeped grains. :p The head was soft and bountiful, till the last of the bottle. This was a wonderful brew ... I can't wait till I get my supplies for my Octane IPA in the mail this week and start that one! ;)
 

Dark_Ale

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
623
Reaction score
3
Location
Liberty
kerryhughes1 said:
I just cracked open another bottle of my Imperial Stout. This beer turned out pretty amazing! I think I screwed up a little in my initial estimate of water I'd need in the initial boil ... I added about an extra 3/4 gallons to start with nearly six gallons thinking it would boil off that much. Guess not when you do it on the stove. So, my Imperial Stout came out a little less strong as usual in that class, but still stronger than your typical beer. And Oh MY ... the deep background roasty flavor from the steeped grains. :p The head was soft and bountiful, till the last of the bottle. This was a wonderful brew ... I can't wait till I get my supplies for my Octane IPA in the mail this week and start that one! ;)
I have a good barely wine recipe I will have to find it. When the beer was finished, of course it was strong, but it had the Hop taste of a Sam adams. It was very unique. Of course I could'nt wait but only a couple of months before drinking it, but I am sure it would have conditioned much better with some more time. If anyone wants it I will post it
 

kerryhughes1

Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Hey Dark_Ale .... I'd LOVE your recipe for Barley Wine! I'm now brewing an Octane IPA ... sure smells good *S* ... but it's in the early stages. I'm going to make a strong barley wine next. Thinking of doing something called a mini malt in addition to my extracts .... OK OK ... I'm hooked I think .... I'll be doing full malting before long, but I can sure see the use of good extracts. I WOULD love your recipe .... and ... how did it come out?
 

Dark_Ale

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
623
Reaction score
3
Location
Liberty
kerryhughes1 said:
Hey Dark_Ale .... I'd LOVE your recipe for Barley Wine! I'm now brewing an Octane IPA ... sure smells good *S* ... but it's in the early stages. I'm going to make a strong barley wine next. Thinking of doing something called a mini malt in addition to my extracts .... OK OK ... I'm hooked I think .... I'll be doing full malting before long, but I can sure see the use of good extracts. I WOULD love your recipe .... and ... how did it come out?
It came out awesome....If you dont like the hops, I would not recommend this one....I dont know where this recipe came from but its pretty good. Any questions let me know......Brew on
8lbs light malt extract
2lbs old bavarian Munich extract
1 lb domestic two row malt grain
2lbs Cara-vienne light crystal grain
2 oz Chinook hop (Pellets)
2 oz Northern Brewer hop Pellets
Package Safale Yeast (Dry make a starter)
 
OP
B

Brewman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
80
Reaction score
2
Location
Long Island NY
well 5 weeks and its bottled, man that took a long time! it thined out nicely, it was very thick when I transfered it to the secondary. I can't wait to try it, prob wait another week and try a bottle just too see how it tastes.
 

Latest posts

Top