Barley Flakes for my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaqball

Reaction score
I plan on adding Barley flakes to my stout recipe.
I looked through the stouts recipe data base for the quantities.
I have never used barley flakes.
Do these dissolve when added?
Do they go in the grain bag?
At what time in the boil are they added?

I used 1.5 lbs. in my stout. You can mash them or steep them although I have not done it that way. You don't boil them.

Its a good time to do a micromash. ie Steep at 150 degrees for 60 minutes, instead of 170 degrees for 30. This will convert the starches over to sugar.

But will the flaked barley have any enzymes, or are they destroyed during the flaking process? I'll micromash with some malt regardless, though I did wonder that.

nick

If you want to get any fermentables out of the flaked barley you definitely need to mash them with a base malt as they have no diastatic power of their own.

If you're just looking for flavour and starches (mouthfeel), steeping is just fine.

bradsul said:
If you want to get any fermentables out of the flaked barley you definitely need to mash them with a base malt as they have no diastatic power of their own.

If you're just looking for flavour and starches (mouthfeel), steeping is just fine.
How many lbs of 2 row does one need to convert 1lb of flaked barley? I want to do a PM stout w/ 6lbs of extract, 1 lb of RB and 1lb(?) flaked barley. Thanks,Charlie
PS- OP: sorry to steal a little of your post
PPS msut be nearing st Pats Day

bradsul said:
I would go with at least 2lbs. But if you can mash more, I would. It will improve your beer if you can use less extract and more malt.

thanks, meteoric speed:mug:, Charlie
Hpy St. Patricks day to Mr. Bradsul

Latest posts

Back