Barley Crusher w/ Drill - Speed Concerns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
So I'll be using my BC for the first time this weekend. Don't mind hand cranking but I have a corded drill that would work well I'm sure. Just wondering about speed. It's not like I can really adjust the speed of the drill with any degree of control (i.e. it'd just be a guess and probably inconsistent and i'd just be doing it with my finger and the drill trigger).

Does one get a good crush with a drill at full speed? Should I just hand crank until I rig up some sort of adjustable speed control?

Thanks for the info!

Just try to run it slow. If the speed varies up & down that's not a real issue but try to run it as steady as you can. I tried a 3/8" VSR Drill at first & ended up buying a gear reduced 1/2" drill that has a max RPM of 550. WAY much better & the drill isn't smoking after milling 30 lbs. of grain (10 gallon batch). Cheers!!!

I run it full blast, but I use a Ryobi battery powered drill which probably has less torque than a corded drill. Like hamiltont said, steady speed seems to matter more anyway.

Back