Barley Crusher Spacing Setting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiGibbs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What spacing do you guys use on your Barley Crusher? I used mine for the first time yesterday and the factory setting (.039) really seemed to pulverize the grain. I opened it up but I'm really not sure what I was looking for. I've only done a few partial grain brews that I had milled at my local store and I don't remember what they looked like.... Didn't have a feeler gauge handy but do any of you know how your is set?
Thanks,
Jimi

I have been using the factory setting since the beginning. My efficiency is satisfactory so I'd prefer not to mess with the gap setting...

I thought the factory setting gave a pretty fine crush, increased my efficiency by ~ 10 pts, and hasn't given me any problems.

I tried the 1 o'clock position like some others had advocated, but I it was too fine for my FB and it wanted to stick when I recirculated w/ the pump. It would probably work better just letting it drain without the pump, though.

Not sure if you can tell much from this picture but here's what it looked like after I adjusted it. Going to measure the spacing tonight....
DSC_0666a.JPG

When I crush, I get a fair bit of flour. That's with a Crankandstein mind you. But I think you could crush finer than what I see in your pic.

I use the factory setting, usually get above 80% efficiency, and don't get stuck sparges. So I'm not about to push my luck on getting stuck for a few extra points.

mr x said:
When I crush, I get a fair bit of flour. That's with a Crankandstein mind you. But I think you could crush finer than what I see in your pic.
Me too.....I would measure the gap just to be sure it is set right.

2699-graincrush2.jpg

I am set at .035 inch and I get really good eff using a "Crank and stein" mill. Just get a feeler guage and set the gap. If you don't like it then use .037 or .039 gap. Most grain mills come set at .040 inch or 1 MM (.03937 inch).

Back