Barley Crusher Gap Settings and Different Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered my BC, motor and spider coupling. I plan on conditioning my malt but had a general question about milling.

Obviously, different grains are different sizes. Do most of you just mill all of your grains together at one gap setting, or, os it necessary to change the gap based on the grain size and mill separately? Or are all grains close enough in size that it really doesn't matter?

TIA for the help!

John

I usually don't worry about it, but I have noticed when I use Golden Promise as my base malt, the kernels are smaller than the two row, so my efficiency was about 8% lower. So now I tighten the gap a bit when doing these beers.

I don't make any adjustments for different grains. But your crush size will depend on your system. I batch sparge with a cooler and a SS braid and my gap is fairly narrow like .032"

Im conditionning my malt and grind everything at .30
except the wheat malt i dont conditionate and grinding at factory setting

The factory setting shipped is .039. At that setting guys are getting 85-89% eff. Get any higher, you'll start taking away some flavor.
If you can hit and target 85% eff consistantly, that's all you could ever want. Wheat should crush fine at .039

err.... with these setting cant belive ppl getting 85-89 eff,
With .30 which is a way lower and conditionning my malt which getting a better crush I usualy get 80 % and someting around 75 so....

Back