barkshack question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty138

Reaction score
Hi all I am a fairly new brewer; beer brewing that is; and I am interested in trying out brewing a mead. The barkshack ginger mead sounds intriguing, but I want to taste one before I commit a carboy for so long. Here's my question: is there a commercially produced version that can let me see what it tastes like? Or barring that do people on the sirte do bottle swaps, or isnt that allowed? I hope this subject isnt covered in another thread, I used the search and didn't see it covered. thanks in advance for any help, theses forums are great, so much valuable info.:confused:

Why don't you begin your mead ventures a gallon at a time? I've been very happy brewing in gallon jugs.
Try MAOM or JOAM, both are very well received. If you try a Commercial mead and don't like it, don't worry....they mostly suck. You will make much better. Meadery of the Rockies makes FINE versions of all that they make, if you see a bottle (ASK At the store) get it!

And Welcome to HBT!

I of course concur with Kahuna (That is fun to say) I would definitely try out a gallon or two (or 5 like I did when I first started). As long as you are careful with sanitation, read up on the basics and follow a good recipe, you are pretty much guaranteed to make something much better than at least half of the commercial meads I've heard of. Redstone is another good commercial brand on top of Kahuna's suggestion. I say start brewing a batch of JOAM and while it is brewing go ahead and order a good mead online or if you are lucky enough to have a good meadery local, try theirs out. But do NOT be put off if you don't like the commercial you try.

PS Chaucer's is crap, don't drink that.

Thanks for the advice, I actually have 2 1gallon batches of JAOM going right now. i have tried a couple of local meads, and liked both. however, neither local meadery makes a barkshack type mead, I am curious about that particular mead. does redstone make a version? also I live in mass, and online alcohol is tricky to do, I could send it to a friend in vt i guess. so if anyone knows where i can try a barkshack type mead, let me know!!

About the closest your going to get is a a good polish mead. I found this stuff at a polish store in the Chicago burbs. I now get a few bottles every time I am up that way. It does have a nice spice with ginger undertones worth investing the time. Try Slowianski or Kasztelanski if you can find it, you may be able to order this on the net.

My suggestion would be to make a three gallon batch, you wont be sorry, after brewing as a 3 gallon batch, bottle one gallon in 12 oz bottles, and note the change in taste over the course of a year, Bulk age (for at least one year) one in a gallon jug preferably in a cool to cold environ and dark too, then with the left over one gallon tweak the recipe by adding perhaps double the ginger or some cinnamon or fruit (secondary fermentation) or tea bags and bulk age also. You'll more than likely be glad you did, this was one of the best things I and another person brewed, I still have a May 2006 12 oz bottle in the bottom of my parents fridge that I drool over everytime I go there. mmmmmmm sooon you'll be enjoyed my friend....

oh by the way, mountain meadows meadery is awesome, they have a good website, the owners ship and they are good people to deal with...

Back