Barking Beagle Brewcast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[size=+2]Old Boot ESB[/size]
[size=+1]8-C Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)[/size]
Author: Jason Konopinski
Date: 2/3/09

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 70%
Calories: 178.92 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.053 (1.048 - 1.060)
|===============#================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.010 - 1.016)
|========================#=======|
Color: 12.39 (6.0 - 18.0)
|================#===============|
Alcohol: 4.9% (4.6% - 6.2%)
|==========#=====================|
Bitterness: 36.5 (30.0 - 50.0)
|=============#==================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
8.5 lb Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
7 oz Caramel Malt 35L
4 oz Crystal 120
.75 oz Galena (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 ea Wyeast 1469PC West Yorkshire
4 oz Belgian Aromatic

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]

00:03:00 Dough-In - Liquor: 2.95 gal; Strike: 168.43 °F; Target: 154 °F
01:03:00 Sacch Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 152.0 °F
01:33:00 Lautering & Sparge - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 150 °F, 10 min; Sparge #2: 2.92 gal sparge @ 180 °F, 10 min; Sparge #2: 2.92 gal sparge @ 180 °F, 10 min; Total Runoff: 7.87 gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2[/size]

Just doughed in, check in around 8 when I start pulling the first runnings.

Nailed my mash temp, sacch rest is going now.

Thanks for trying - I still learned a bunch just for the mash. I appreciate you taking the trouble to do the brewcast & explain your processes - seeing it & getting the explanation is a ton of help for a guy like me who's planning to do AG soon.

I'm about 20 minutes into the boil (60 minute addition), smells wonderful.

Stupid Mogulus. :mad:

Oh well, there will be many others for sure. Hopefully I can unveil the new kettle and March pump for the next one. :D

how am i going to pepper you with n00b questions now? I even volunteered to get up with the dog so i could watch, granted i forgot about it until just now, but i still made the effort.

Yeast pitched and everything cleaned up. Done by 11 am. Time for a quick nap then it's time to bloody some noses on the rugby pitch.

It's a good day, yes it is. :D

Yeast pitched and everything cleaned up. Done by 11 am. Time for a quick nap then it's time to bloody some noses on the rugby pitch.

It's a good day, yes it is. :D

Indeed!

jds played #5 Lock in his college rugby club. Good times, even with the broken ribs. The smell of vaseline and electrical tape takes me right back.

Indeed!

jds played #5 Lock in his college rugby club. Good times, even with the broken ribs. The smell of vaseline and electrical tape takes me right back.

#2 Hooker, sometimes #7 Flanker here. :rockin:

I cracked two ribs last season, not to mention the broken fingers and occasional blackeye.

Still, nothing makes a Saturday afternoon like a hard-fought match on the pitch. We all know that Saturday is Rugby Day.

Still, nothing makes a Saturday afternoon like a hard-fought match on the pitch. We all know that Saturday is Rugby Day.
Yeah, I’m just jealous. Too old to think about a sport where there’s a good chance of broken bones. So, how’d it go? As good as the morning brew? Weather was perfect for an afternoon workout.

Yeah, I’m just jealous. Too old to think about a sport where there’s a good chance of broken bones. So, how’d it go? As good as the morning brew? Weather was perfect for an afternoon workout.

It was a great scrimmage against the local college team; even though it didn't 'count', that never stops the Roses from playing hard for 80 minutes. Hard rucking, clean tackles, smooth game play. Only one injury (bruised sternum- NOT ME!)- kid's out for six weeks while it heals up.

I'm sore as hell today, but I love it.

It was a great scrimmage against the local college team; even though it didn't 'count', that never stops the Roses from playing hard for 80 minutes. Hard rucking, clean tackles, smooth game play. Only one injury (bruised sternum- NOT ME!)- kid's out for six weeks while it heals up.

I'm sore as hell today, but I love it.

Sounds like a perfect day, actually. Brewing, rugby, drinking a couple. Now, you have Sunday to do the "honey do's" and rest up for Monday.

I have hockey tonight, and I'm racking a few wines, and making some cheese today. I love weekends!

Sounds like a perfect day, actually. Brewing, rugby, drinking a couple. Now, you have Sunday to do the "honey do's" and rest up for Monday.

I have hockey tonight, and I'm racking a few wines, and making some cheese today. I love weekends!

I need to make some more cheese, next weekend perhaps. I have the stuff to do a farmhouse cheddar, just need to set aside the time to do it.

Surprisingly, the 'honey do' list is rather short, so I'll spend the afternoon curled up with a good book and a cup of tea, after I work the kinks out with a trip to the gym.

Back