Bargain Fittings is AWESOME, here is why.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bakins

Reaction score
So, the coil is supported only by the weldless fittings?

Are you wishing you would have used 20 gallon pots? ;) I got a 15 bayou classic, and sometimes wish I had spent the few extra bucks on the larger one.

OP
The Pol

The Pol

Reaction score
So, the coil is supported only by the weldless fittings?

Are you wishing you would have used 20 gallon pots? ;) I got a 15 bayou classic, and sometimes wish I had spent the few extra bucks on the larger one.
For this application, the 20's werent going to work for me. Wasnt an economic thing, it was a design thing.

Yes, the fittings support the coil

Brew-boy

Reaction score
(2) are for the chiller
(1) is for the kettle recirc
(1) is the pick-up
Is it better to have the Kettle/recirc location closer to the bottom of the vessel or the top? I am about to hard plumb a tube so I can whirlpool after the boil.

OP
The Pol

The Pol

Reaction score
Is it better to have the Kettle/recirc location closer to the bottom of the vessel or the top? I am about to hard plumb a tube so I can whirlpool after the boil.
Well, I dont think it matters. You are really just trying to move the wort around the coil. Mine will shoot the wort at the coil in a circular motion. I can adjust the SS recirc arm so that is shoots higher or lower on the coil. Say between the 3 and 7 gallon marks.

At about 9-10 gal/min flow the whirlpool action should be spectacular.

Grimster

Reaction score
Finally got my fittings on! Check it:

Looks like I ordered the 1" SS Nut for the water heater element but not the silicon o-ring. I'm guessing one of the dozens of rubber O-rings I have won't work. Though can't these be found at Lowes or I'm thinking at car parts places?

Also check out my $34.99 Home Depot score:

jtd_1

Reaction score
No, using the LG 3-MD-HC

Finished Pump... both are identical.
Temp. reading at inlet
Pol,

Maybe i missed it, but were did you get the fittings for the pump?

Thanks!

Joe

OP
The Pol

The Pol

Reaction score
Pol,

Maybe i missed it, but were did you get the fittings for the pump?

Thanks!

Joe
Barbs from BuyFittingsOnline.com

The rest are from MurrayEquipment.com

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
I'm interested to see how your pump tests go....my pots all have 1/2" couplers on them, so I'm ultimately limited to that size even though the pump's inlet is 3/4". If it works good on your gear, I won't worry as much. :mug: Right now I'm considering installing a 3/4" bottom drain in my new rig.

OP
The Pol

The Pol

Reaction score
I'm interested to see how your pump tests go....my pots all have 1/2" couplers on them, so I'm ultimately limited to that size even though the pump's inlet is 3/4". If it works good on your gear, I won't worry as much. :mug: Right now I'm considering installing a 3/4" bottom drain in my new rig.
The pump outlet is only 1/2", meaning 3/8" ID, so I dont know that larger plumbing matters a lot.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
The pump outlet is only 1/2", meaning 3/8" ID, so I dont know that larger plumbing matters a lot.
Not so much on the outlet as the inlet. I want to feed that beast as much as possible so it can do its job. It would be a short section of pipe and fittings for only one vessel (in my system...which is just in my head right now :) )....I think it could be worthwhile.

BrianP

Reaction score
+1 on the grat service from Wayne at bargain fittings. Just installed my sight gauge and it is perfect. One question though (off topic): what size eyebolt for securing the top of the 3/8 tubing?

And Pol, damn, that's sick. You have a stainless fetish.