BANJO KICK A---Frame no good !!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Fellow Brewers I come to you with utmost importancy. If you have a Bayou Classic Banjo Kicker Burner ----DO NOT BOIL TEN GALS ON THE STOCK FRAME. I lost 10 gal of wort on Tues night. Thank God I was not by my Kettle. Take a look at how your burner frame is welded !!! Mine was spot welded like SH-T. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I just today took mine in and rewelded it back togeather with 2x2 angle and a new wind screen. I think this stand is so crappy that 5 will break it. Letting you know befor someone gets burned badly...
Cheers and may my beer R.I.P

The customer reviews (link) for the product on Amazon have also mady me wary about the Banjo cooker for that very reason. Then, I know several people who haven't had any problems. Could this just be a horrible QC issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a similar b&tch about the quality of the Bayou Classic welds. I bought one of these from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYPU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
The shipping carton was quite bashed up when I received it. On unpacking, I found the large diameter support ring quite bent. I got out my 3 pound jewlers hammer to "round" it back out. After the second gentle tap, one of the welds from one of the legs to the smaller cylindrical ring separated completely. I looked over the welds, which appear to be wire MIG welds. There was very little if any penetration on any of the welds. I'm cleaning up all of the weld areas and taking it to the local muffler shop to have it re-welded/beefed up. I like the overall design of the burner, but the QC does suck.

Hmmm. Maybe time to look at one of the HF MIG units?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the stand that came with mine:

bc1175_stainless_steel_turkey_fryer.jpg

It's friggin' sturdy. I had to put a charcoal grill grate on it to accomodate my keggle, and now it works like a champ. I might consider upping the burner some day.

I'm talking about the 1 that in 1/2" or 5/8" square tubing with a 1/16" windscreen.

Back