Band of yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
I transferred a dark Belgian ale to secondary about a week ago. Since this is only my second secondary, I've been looking in each day to watch the process. I noticed early on that there was, for lack of a better word, a "band" (or maybe ring) of yeast below the surface of the beer. Maybe an inch or so below the surface, and a half inch thick. When I rocked the carboy a bit, the band moved uniformly, which I found a little odd.

There really isn't a lot of yeast in the band; just a couple of tiny chunks here and there. I wouldn't have thought anything of it except that it was at the same level all the way around the carboy.

I then noticed this morning that it was slowly moving down, also still as a band. Anyone seen this before? It's like a free floating, super diffuse disc of yeast that is slowly settling out in unison. (Try saying that one ten times fast.)

I can't say I have seen a band specifically, but I regularly see Nottingham behave in a similar fashion. The top 1" or so of the carboy will clear, and then the yeast will descend from there in a very uniform layer until the whole carboy clears. This is in my primary mind you. I don't use a secondary, so the lack of an established yeast cake could well be changing the behavior to what you're seeing.

google "pellicle" if it doesnt look like that your probably ok:D Not to insult your intelligence if you already no its not one,but without a pic it's hard to say

Back