Band Aid Taste Fixed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradingbull

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have had the same problem many on here complain about. The Band-Aid or medicine taste in their beers, specifically extract brews. On my last 3 extract brews I have switched from tap water to Ozarka bottled water, and the results are great. Not one bit of Band-Aid taste to any, and 2 were repeat brews I had done with local tap water that had the dreaded taste.

I know this does not solve everyone's problem with this, but for those that struggle with this undesired flavor and not sure what to try next I recommend trying a brew or two with bottled water, all other steps remaining the same, and judge the results.

I am truly thankful that my tap water (filtered) has caused no issues. If I had to buy and lug around store bought water to brew with I would probably give up,

That's awesome. I wish it were that easy to get rid of all off flavors.

Sounds like maybe Chloramine or Chlorine. Did you ever try adding Campden tablets?

Have you had a water analysis done? I recommend it. My beer has improved significantly just by adding a few salts to my tap water and running it through a carbon filter.

Sounds like maybe Chloramine or Chlorine. Did you ever try adding Campden tablets?

Have you had a water analysis done? I recommend it. My beer has improved significantly just by adding a few salts to my tap water and running it through a carbon filter.

How do you do a water analysis?

I did get a water report from the municipal supply. Found out they use chlorine instead of chloramines which is a bit easier to deal with. I am considering a carbon filter. I went all bottled water in attempt to confirm or deny the taste was from my water or from an equipment/procedure issue.

b-boy said:

I just did my first batch with Campden. Hoping for good results!

Latest posts

Back