Banana Smell - Kit Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhsanborn

Reaction score
I've done about 6 wine kits, and they've all been ok, but almost all of them have come out with varying levels of banana smell. All the kits are Wine Expert kits, but the grapes range from Pinot Grigio to Nebbiolo. The reds end up with more banana smell than the whites.

Primary is in a bucket with a lid and airlock, during the winter, in the basement. Temps are the same as the house (65-68f).

Label Peelers has a sale and I was going to order 4-5 kits and wondered if anyone had any tricks to try. I'm going to get yet another buck and also replace all the plastic in the rest of the chain (air lock, siphon, hoses) to ensure there aren't any bugs hanging around.

EDIT: Forgot to add - Secondary is in 6.5gal glass carboy. I usually bulk age the reds in that carboy, covered (light) for 3 months or so.

Cheers,

Randall

Last edited:
I haven't been monitoring fermentation temperature, just ambient. I'm looking to setup something with an arduino for tracking.
Assuming yeast is Lalvin EC-1118 or similar based on other kits.
Rehydrating 30 minutes prior to pitching in room temperature water.
Kit doesn't have nutrients, thinking about adding them separately.

I'm using Iodophor on everything, it's probably higher concentration than necessary.

I most often see banana with high temperature.

Fermentation generates heat, and 1118 is particularly active, so perhaps fermentation temp is exceeding the optimal range, despite the ambient temperature.
Nutrients may help, but temperature control is pretty much a necessity to avoid off-flavors.

As an FYI, from a web site that sells sensory perception training aids:

"Isoamyl acetate is formed by yeasts during fermentation. The concentration formed is yeast-dependent. Carbonic maceration, must aeration, and must clarity also play a key influence on the amounts formed. The compound contributes a banana-like note and complexity to neutral white wines and to red and white premier wines. When present in excess it can mask key varietal characters."

Back