Weissbier Banana Pancakes Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew502

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WYeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10days at 65-72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7days at 65-72
Tasting Notes
Strong Banana/clove aroma with maple syrup taste
1.54 lbs. American 6-row Pale
1.62 lbs. German Wheat Malt Light
0.07 lbs. Crystal Malt 40°L
0.24 lbs. Belgian Munich
1.44 lbs. Liquid Wheat Extract
1.77 lbs. Dry Extra Light Extract
0.07 lbs. Maple Syrup (prime)
0.15 lbs. Malto Dextrin
0.3 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.47 oz. Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min.
0.50 oz. Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 1 min.
Yeast : WYeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat

This is the recipe that I am working on now anyone who wants to brew this and tell me what needs work please be my guest =]

I am hoping for it have a strong :ban:and maple taste and aroma:drunk:

What about possibly adding some banana extract? What do you all think?

Looks pretty dang delicious. Are you just expecting to get the banana flavor from the wheat yeast? It should be prominent if you ferment above 65*F but I think more flavor would come from real banana or, as you said, extract. However, I don't think you will get any maple flavor whatsoever if you're using it to prime: it will all be consumed and the flavor will be lost. I'd recommend getting a decent amount of B-grade maple syrup and adding it after primary fermentation has completed or adding it to a secondary. B-grade has more non-homologous solutes (super-oxymoron) in suspension that won't ferment out and give you more flavor.)

:off: On a side note, are you naming this one after the Jack Johnson song?

EDIT: also, 0.07# of Crystal 40? Personally, I'd get rid of either that or the munich and do 0.25# of the one you kept. If you're going to go with that, I'd steer towards munich
EDIT#2: (jeez I should read these more thoroughly!!!) I'd also recommend not using a secondary for this batch unless you want the yeast to drop out. Then you'd end up with a nice kristallweizen ^_^

lol yea the name is slightly going towards that song lol

I forgot to add that I am adding maple to the primary but I am also priming with it =].

I really love banana pancakes so i was wondering what it would be like as a beer. I have tried banana bread styled brews and they were delicious just not the flavor i was looking for.

My brewing partner is leaning towards the krystallweizen but I prefer my cloudy yeast ladden weizens :D

That's a cool idea. You'll have to let us know how it turns out. I love the food and the song, so would enjoy trying it someday as a beer...

Back