Banana flavoring yeast suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texwake

Reaction score
So I've been brewing this hybrid Heff/Witt for awhile now and have been using WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen for my yeast. I ferment at room temperature (around 72 degrees) since I don't have a way to control the fermentation temperature. I've been trying to see if I can get more banana out of the yeast but I get more clove. Is there a better yeast to use out there or should I try raising the fermentation temperature by buying a heating pad next time?

Thanks!

T-58 puts out a lot of banana, and some pepper as well.

I achieved a strong banan presence in a Wee Heavy using a standard Safale-04 dry yeast but slowly ramping up the fermentation temperature (after three days at normal fermentation temps) by using a space heater I moved progressively closer to the fermenter of 5-7 days. It ended up capping out in the low 80's the last two days.

The reason I let it ferment normally the first three days was to avoid a rushed initial fermentation and getting a hot alcohol taste. :mug:

Back