Banana flavor... still young.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djinn88

Reaction score
I bottled a Fat Tire clone (partial mash) from AHS last week and tried one last night. The flavor was disappointing and had some strong banana tastes. I did a search here and noticed it happens to wheat beers all the time, but I was wondering what my problem is? I have two things that I think may have contributed...

1. The yeast vial was warm by the time the package got to me, it is White Labs V051 (California Ale). I made a 1L starter with this and it was a viable, healthy looking starter.

2. I had RAPID fermentation and a lot of blowoff, I'm assuming from the large starter. I didn't monitor my fermentation temps, but the carboy next to it that wasn't fermenting read 68F.

Maybe it is something else, but I suspect one of these two things. Will this calm down or go away in the coming weeks? The beer had decent carb, and I know that 1 week after bottling is not a good indicator of finished product, but just wanted to try one.

Unwanted banana flavors can come from underpitching your yeast, or from fermenting too high. Since you made a starter, despite the temp on the other carboy I would say that it was your fermentation temp.

Seeing as you only bottled it a week ago, the beer is still plenty green, as you know. Let it age a couple more weeks minimum and try it then. I wouldn't put much stock relying on the fermenter next to this one for a temperature. Let it age longer.

if it makes you feel any better, i had a beer that did the same thing to me. i was a little dissapointed. after a few weeks in the keg, it was very tasty, and it didnt have an overpowerful banana smell.

Cool. Yeah I know it is early, but I wanted to get a taste for how it evolves over the next few weeks. I had it in primary for 3 weeks, so I thought I did that okay. But now I know to ice down during my fermentation. I just hope that most or all of these off tastes go away in the coming weeks!

Latest posts

Back