Baltimore Maryland Brew Together - Mentor requested!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, this isn't an 'official' group outing or nothing, but I need some help.

I'm a noob (3 batches brewed) that has been 100% extract brewing. I just purchased a literal TON of homebrew equipment to go all grain, but I don't know what on earth to do with it. I've read books and posts and websites, but it seems that I just don't 'Get it' when it comes to understanding all that is needed for all grain.

So, I'm lookin for a mentor to come over and brew with us. I'm going to join a couple local brewclubs as well, but was hoping someone local would be willing to help a noob get started.

We want to do 10g batches (and assume we have the equipment necessary to do so), so we need to understand what we need to do to get that done. My brews are not quite ready (still in various frementing processes, except for the first one which we drank all of), so I can't offer any beer right now. But I would be willing to fork over for all the ingredients and split a 10g batch between you and me for doing me the favor of teaching, as well as supplying said 'new friend' with homebrews in the future.

Anyone local to the north baltimore (White Marsh/Bel Air/Towson) area who'd be willing to help out some weekend in the next few weeks, give me a shout here and we'll see what we can come up with.

I'm a little farther north (about 1.25 hours from Baltimore) and my all grain resume is short, but I would certainly be willing to help. If you can list the equipment you have, I can give you a better idea of whether you have what you need. My weekends before Christmas are a bit tight but I may be able to do something after the holidays. Otherwise, the forum would be willing to give you answers to any questions you have. What are your brew plans?

Hey hopfan! Took a look at where Lincoln is to me, only about 1 hour (or so says google) away. You live anywhere close to Victory? We're planning a road trip up there some time soon as well.

As for my 'tools' of the trade:

1 - 14.5g brew kettle w/ ball valve (no thermometer :/ )
1 - 15.5g keggle w/ ball valve (no thermometer :/ )
1 - 10g cooler with false bottom installed
1 - 5g cooler with the tap taken out and just a hose coming out
1 - counterflow chiller
5 - misc carboys 5,6,6.5
3 - corny kegs - but I have no kegging setup, with no plans on one till I move out of my apartment
2 - plastic 'Ale Pale' buckets (1 of which has bottling spigot)
19 - misc cases of mixed 12oz and 16oz bottles
2 - 5 to 7g SS brewpots

Not sure where Victory is. There is a Victory Hills near Pittsburgh. I am about an hour west of Philly.

As far as equipment, it looks like you have what you need. Looks like the 10G cooler was used as a mash tun. The 5G cooler may have been for sparge water if there is no valve of any type or may have been used for a mini mash.

The only thing you really want to get is a thermometer to track mash & sparge temps and you'll need a good spoon (either SS or plastic) for stirring up the mash. Since you don't mention a sparge arm or manifold, I assume the person did batch sparging?

By Victory, I mean Victory brewing in Downingtown (just west of West Chester). Best PA brewery, hands down!

No manifold, so I guess it was batch sparged. The small cooler has the default valve taken out with just a copper tube hanging out. No false bottom there (unless the false bottom from the other cooler is movable, I dunno.

I have a big plastic spoon from my 5g batches, as well as a turkey fryer kit with a thermo there and a drop in thermo, as well as 2 hydrometers (I didn't list the little stuff).

I thinks we got enough to have fun with! Hopefully there are more people around the area that want to get together and brew. Damnit, I know you're out there!

Hop: keep in touch with this thread. Let me know when you might be available and weather pending, maybe we'll come up your way and go to Victory. You're more than welcome to meet us up there or hitch a ride. Or if you have a good reason to come down our way (there's 3 brew shops in a 30mi radius or so of my place) we can brew.

Will do. Just coming out of my slow season so things are going to pick up for a while. It's a toss up. If I hope for slow times, I make no money but have loads of time to brew. I need the money for ingredients so I hope for busy times and I have no time to brew. :confused:

Back