Baltic Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian-d

Reaction score
Greetings:
I am about to brew a Baltic Porter which requires lager yeast. I have never brewed anything with lager yeast. I understand that it takes substantially more
lager yeast to get the job done due to colder fermentation temps. I was shocked to see how much yeast it is going to require to brew a 6.5 gallon batch at 1.087 OG. Even with a starter it requires 4 vials of liquid yeast to get the job done. Does this seem right. There is a category with the yeast software I use that lists hybrid brews. http://www.yeastcalc.com/ I am not sure what to do here? Any experienced help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

So the recipe calls for lager yeast? You don't NEED to use lager yeast for a Baltic Porter. Two of the five yeasts listed under the style (on the Wyeast style guide page) are ale yeast. I've used both of those strains, in fact, with really good results. Of the two, I would go with 1728 over 1084. For one thing, 1728 has a WIDE temperature range, and will produce a solid brew, and can go to 12% (possibly above, depending on how you treat it).

I would advise using the yeastcalc parameters for starter(s) to get the cell count needed. If you have a stirplate, you can also do more than a single step starter to get the count needed. I've done two, and three, step starters already. It's one of the ways you can get the cell count and use far less DME in the process.

I'm doing a Baltic Porter next month. I've been ramping up a SafLager pack. Made a bock first, then a DIPL, and next month the yeast should be ready to take on a 10% abv BP

Back