Baltic Porter or Doppelbock Which One and Why

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beersnob16

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Alright all, as the title reads which one and why? I am interested in doing both at some point and this will be my first larger. Which yeast would you recommend for both as well? Thanks for the help.

It really does not matter which you do first as both will probably cost about the same (similar gravities). Personally I would do the Baltic Porter first, probably because that is one of my all time favorite beer styles.

Wyeast 2124 would be great for both beers. Just be sure to make a large starter to ensure you have the proper cell count for a healthy fermentation.

I've never made a doppelbock but 2 baltic porters. First one used white labs cream ale blend (080). Second one used wyeast german ale (1007), which despite not being listed as a "hybrid yeast" can ferment into the low 50s. Id definitely look into any hybrid style yeast apart from kolsch maybe since those yeasts have esters which are usually attributed to that certain style

I'm wrapping up fermentation on a baltic porter I brewed about a week and a half ago. I used wlp810 San Francisco Lager yeast as recommended by a lot of people here and elsewhere. Very versatile strain, can go up to 65ºF and retain lager-like characteristics.

I'm going Blonde Doppelbock.
Lighter and hoppier than a Baltic Porter.

I will use most of the yeast from the Czech Pilsener fermenting right now.

'da Kid

the recipe is from Gordon's new book.

I made both of my own but here's my latest one. I wanted a pitch black, slick, roasty porter that was very smooth but had massive flavor. Called it Oil Spill

WY1007, fermented at 52 for 2 weeks, then crept up to 65, then lagered at 40 for 3 weeks (needed to use my chamber, all I did was belgians in between haha)

5.0 lb vienna
4.5 lb munich
2.0 lb oats (1/2 lb toasted in my oven)
1.0 lb 6 row (was worried about not having enough conversion enzymes with all the rest of the base malt being vienna and munich)
6 oz special B (this gave it a really good subtle dark fruity flavor that I find in my favorite commercial examples)
6 oz special roast
12 oz Carafa III
12 oz chocolate wheat
1.0 lb brown sugar

Can't tell you how the final product tastes (I'll get back to you in like, November ;) ) but I drew up this for my recipe:

"1080p(orter)"

6lbs 9.9oz Maris Otter (38.7%)
6lbs 9.9oz Munich 10L (38.7%)
1lbs 11oz Brown Malt (9.9%)
1lbs Rye (5.9%)
13.1oz Crystal 120L (4.8%)
5.3oz Original Molasses (2.0%)
1oz Northern Brewer (10.3%AA) @ 60min
1oz Northern Brewer (10.3%AA) @ 0min

haha 1.080 OG? nice

Haha yup. What can I say, I have a soft spot for clever names :D

Well, it was supposed to be 1.080, but I botched my volume and overshot, driving it down to 1.064. I'm keeping the name though!

For a baltic porter id do

8lb maris otter
4 lb munich
1/2 lb crystal 60
1/2 lb chocolate
1/2 lb black patent

galena for bittering, hallertau for bit of aroma, s-23 yeast

But from all those hops, Id suggest somethign like a belma/citra/mosiac IPA or a hoppy saison with the mangrove jack yeast using amarillo and/or sorachi ace

no problem. yeash sooner would be better than later cause baltic porters are pretty time intensive. Youll want to ferment it cool to bring out its lager character and even after its done fermenting and lagering (if you actually want to do the traditional method) it still gets much better as it ages. Personally, I like to add a few oz of special B to give it that subtle plum fig fruityness that seems to be in a lot of great commercial examples

Quick update on this, I subbed the black patent for rosted barley. Brewed on sunday, pitched yeast at 4 yesterday afternoon and had krausen at noon today.

Back