Baltic Porter Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm thinking about doing my first lager and it will be a Baltic porter.
With Fermentis W-34/70 and a malt bill like this:

3.75 kg Munich Malt (20.0 EBC) Grain 1 34.5 %
3.25 kg Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC) Grain 2 29.9 %
2.50 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 3 23.0 %
0.50 kg Crystal Malt Medium140-160(Bairds) (146.0 EBC) Grain 4 4.6 %
0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 5 2.3 %
0.20 kg CHÂTEAU DIASTATIC (3.0 EBC) Grain 6 1.8 %
0.15 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC) Grain 7 1.4 %
0.12 kg CHÂTEAU CHOCOLAT (900.0 EBC) Grain 8 1.1 %
0.15 kg Soft Candi Sugar, Brun Foncé (Dark) (43.3 EBC) Dry Extract 9 1.4 %

I'll decide on the hops later.

I will ferment it at about 52F for a few weeks then do a diacetyl rest for a few days and then slowly cool it down over a few days to lager temperature.
My question is how long would it be recommended hold it at lager temperature before I could bottle it and what is an acceptable lager temperature range? I have a small fridge that I think could manage 38 to 40F.
Would that be cool enough? Could I even lager it at a few degrees higher?

Thanks for any tips/advice you can give me :tank:

No need for the sugar on top of the malt. I am assuming this would be for 40L of beer, correct? Otherwise that will be a VERY heavy beer.

Personally I believe in the minimize ingredients/maximize method way of thinking. I would simply split the base grain between Munich Dark and pilsner, use maybe 3% crystal, and then 6% Carafa. Use simple Hallertau or Saaz hops.

You can cut down on your primary time, but the general rule for long term lagering is 1 week for every .01 points of original gravity. So if your beer is 1.070 OG, then lager 7 weeks. You could probably get away with 38*F, but not much warmer. Baltic Porters are supposed to have some "flaws" anyways, so you can actually get away with imperfect lagering.

No need for the sugar on top of the malt. I am assuming this would be for 40L of beer, correct? Otherwise that will be a VERY heavy beer.

Personally I believe in the minimize ingredients/maximize method way of thinking. I would simply split the base grain between Munich Dark and pilsner, use maybe 3% crystal, and then 6% Carafa. Use simple Hallertau or Saaz hops.

You can cut down on your primary time, but the general rule for long term lagering is 1 week for every .01 points of original gravity. So if your beer is 1.070 OG, then lager 7 weeks. You could probably get away with 38*F, but not much warmer. Baltic Porters are supposed to have some "flaws" anyways, so you can actually get away with imperfect lagering.

Thanks a lot for your reply.
What I'm planning on brewing is actually a 5 gallon clone of the beer in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=542028

So by it's by no means a traditional Baltic porter more like an Imperial Stout/Porter hybrid brewed with a bottom fermented yeast.

Maybe with all those hops in there I can get away with minimal lagering?

7-12 days per 2 degrees plato. Since its a dark beer, id go 12 days. That looks to be around a 1.090, or 21.5 plato. 12x21.5/2= 129 days or around 4 months. I usually lager my baltic porters around 4-6 months, and they are usually clear and smooth

You may also be able to lager in the bottles once its carbonated (never bottle conditioned a lager, but i dont see why not). I usually do the lagering in a keg near freezing.

(also, please use a calculator and pitch an appropriate amount of yeast, this will need a ton)

7-12 days per 2 degrees plato. Since its a dark beer, id go 12 days. That looks to be around a 1.090, or 21.5 plato. 12x21.5/2= 129 days or around 4 months. I usually lager my baltic porters around 4-6 months, and they are usually clear and smooth

You may also be able to lager in the bottles once its carbonated (never bottle conditioned a lager, but i dont see why not). I usually do the lagering in a keg near freezing.

(also, please use a calculator and pitch an appropriate amount of yeast, this will need a ton)

Sorry about the delay with my reply.
Thanks a lot for your help.

I have 3 packs of W-34/70 according to Mr Malty 2.5 packs should be enough.
I'll just throw them all in.

Back