Ballpark weight needed for oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckarsanac

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm waiting for my Medium "roasted" oak chips to get delivered. I wanted to add a few to a cyser I'm making. It's only 2 days old at this point and I was going to let it sit in primary for 1 month, then transfer over to a secondary with the oak. It's only a 1 gallon batch so, I need just a rough guesstimation on how much oak to add. I ordered 5lbs. What do you guys think? I really only want a hint of oak.

Cheers!

That was the smallest amount offered. They are bigger chips, so I might have to shred them down. So, 1 oz then? Sounds good to me. Thanks!

1 gram per liter is a good place to start if you don't want to over do it. For a gallon that would be about 4 grams, which would be around 5 oak cubes. You can always add more, but you can't take it out.

Medsen (or others), how long do you usually let it sit on oak?

I've had pretty good luck with ~6 weeks at a rate of 1oz/gallon.

How much depends on what I'm making. A light traditional wouldn't tolerate that much. A heavy berry melomel could swallow that easily. I tend use lower amounts and let it sit for extended periods. I've had some batches with oak sitting in them for a couple of years. I gradually add more if I think it needs more. This way I don't overshoot end up with it tasting like Château Plywood. I typically don't like heavily oaked meads, and 1 oz per gallon would probably be too much for me in most cases. YMMV.

Back