Ballast Point $15.99/6?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatcleaver

Reaction score
Don't know if it's new to Texas but it's new to my local beer store.
I was really excited to see that I could finally try Grapefruit Sculpin (among others) until I saw the price tag.
15.99 for a 6 pack? none for me thanks.
is this what most people are paying?

Yeah, that's the price here too. It used to be $13.99 a couple years ago, IIRC. Someone's got to pay for Modelo's $1,000,000,000 pay out to Ballast Point last year.

I'm passing too, working on a clone recipe...

I was really excited to see that I could finally try Grapefruit Sculpin (among others) until I saw the price tag.

Same in this neck of the woods. @ those prices it makes my investment in brewing equipment worthwhile.

I bought another of their beers a couple of months ago at only $10.99. I don't think I will get to try the Grapefruit Sculpin......

Same here in NC..Craft beer pricing is getting out of control honestly.

There is a local brewery here (not to be named) that sells their 4 pack cans of hoppy seasonal beer for 16.99 a 4-pack AT THE BREWERY.
Thats friggin insane.

Same here in NC..Craft beer pricing is getting out of control honestly.

There is a local brewery here (not to be named) that sells their 4 pack cans of hoppy seasonal beer for 16.99 a 4-pack AT THE BREWERY.
Thats friggin insane.

How can we stop this ridiculous pricing?

Also from TX and as much as I like IPA's and wanted to try this beer I just couldn't spend that kind of money on a 6 pack. The most expensive BY FAR I've seen on the market, completely insane.

I did end up trying a few of there beers at a work party (company was picking up the tab) and they were pretty good...nothing to brag home about when its 16 bucks a 6er.

I just don't buy commercial beer, although ballast point is a lot cheaper than $16.99 at our local grocery store. I haven't really found *any* commercial bottled beer that I like nearly as much as even my average efforts. I have had some good stuff on tap though.

Yep..Most craft beers are the same price around here....One of the big reasons I Homebrew. I can make a premium craft beer for $4 a six pack...Cheaper than Bud Light

$14.99 here in Western, NY. It's one of the more expensive beers in the stores... Now here's the kicker, Constellation Brands has a large facility here. I know they don't brew the beer here but I would think maybe they would have it a little cheaper in this area given their large presence. I would think they could get it here relatively cheaper based on their facility here... But then again they need to make their money back from what they spent to acquire Ballast Point.

Ballast Point's original location has been my LHBS for three years now. I am used to getting a flight of tasters usually when i get my ingredients. Price hasnt gone up since the acquisition, but imho quality has gone down. I'd look to the little guy. They've got something to prove. My $0.02.

Ballast point has always been expensive. Even for us in San Diego. I would think that having so much supply would drive more competitive prices but I think it's like electric company or cable pricing. Everyone pays the cost of getting it to the people farther away. And I think people are willing to pay most of the time. The worst I've seen is 19.99 for a six pack of Alpine's Hoppy Birthday. Granted that liquor store is stupid expensive but that's way out there. One of the cool things about living in Chico, CA for a bit was the super cheap Sierra Nevada. I gained a lot for respect for Sierra Nevada as a brewery just because you could get a six pack for $6.99 in a grocery store always. There are a few other reasons too but we don't need to stroke them anymore then they have been.

Ballast point Sculpin is one of my favorites, I'll treat myself to a six pack maybe one or twice a year. Its on my list of clone brews to make, but I've gotten backed up with my new obsession: barrel aged porters, stouts and brown ales that also come in at $16+ a six pack. Brewing beers that retail for $2-$3 for a 12 oz bottle at a store or $7-9 at a bar make me feel like I'm getting a good value for my homebrew time and money.

Stop buying it!
This is simple economics

LOL! I would agree with this but man its hard to see some of these craft breweries creations and not want to at least sample a few.

Of late, I am finding alot of the smaller craft startups are really making sub-par beer and trying to sell it at a premium which is only making a bad situation worse as its pissing folks off who really know what good beer should be.

One of the new ones that I went to this weekend to try as they just moved into their new location has made the cardinal sin of using the same fermenters/serving lines for their sours as they do for their regular beers.

The net/net is a hint (or in some cases more than a hint) of foulness in ALL their beers which is going to be a PITA to resolve at this point for them.

16 for a 6 pack equals out to $2.66 a beer, even though this is one of the more expensive 6er's. Its still cheaper than a beer at the bar or even a brewery. For that price your looking at bud light at a bar and usually a $5 pint at the brewery.

I don't know why I was so surprised when I saw it...I've paid $10-12 for a 4 pack of imperial strength whatever. that was just the first time I'd ever seen a 6 pack priced that high.
I went ahead and paid it for their commodore stout, which was nice but not $16 nice. I'm not an IPA fan anyway so no chance I'll pay up for sculpin but I may plan a small batch clone beer just to see what all the fuss is about.

I don't know why I was so surprised when I saw it...I've paid $10-12 for a 4 pack of imperial strength whatever. that was just the first time I'd ever seen a 6 pack priced that high.
I went ahead and paid it for their commodore stout, which was nice but not $16 nice. I'm not an IPA fan anyway so no chance I'll pay up for sculpin but I may plan a small batch clone beer just to see what all the fuss is about.
The Sculpin left a nasty after taste in my mouth. I've had most of the Ballast Point offerings and am not a fan. The exception would be their California Kolsch, that is a very nice beer. Oddly I think it is one of their cheapest as well.

I had a number of Ballast Point bottles in Japan about a year ago (Sculpin, Grapefruit, Dorado, typically $20 + S&H for *3*, so you guys have it lucky) and really enjoyed them all, but when I had a chance to try Grapefruit Sculpin in the can during a visit to the states last fall the taste was not nearly as memorable... maybe it was an old brew, maybe things have changed since the buyout? Based on that second impression, I don't think I would bother again given the price point.

They want $13.99 around here for it. I've had 2 singles and let me be the first to say ITS AVERAGE FOR AN IPA.

The price is absurd. My limit is around $8-9/6p. The stuff sits and sits and sits at my local grocery store. Hopefully they throw it out soon and put something else in its place.

You can't. (as just one person)
It takes a group in masse not buying their product (less demand)
vs the supply of it (supply)

HOWEVER.....you don't need to buy it/fall victem of the price.
Just keep making your own.

$9-11 for 6 pack depending on the style, in suburban Massachusetts. I don't buy it anymore, ballast point got bought out. I actively try to support more local or true craft breweries as much as I can.

Back