Ball valve vs 3 piece ball valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as an advantage, a 3 piece ball valve can be taken apart for thorough cleaning.

You can also re-orient the 3 piece valves after tightening fittings. The price difference is pretty marginal now days so I would opt for 3 piece everywhere unless you are on a shoestring budget.

+1^

Don't fill it to the fill line after fermentation has subsided. Just enough to cover the holes in the bottom of the shuttle prevents suck back.

The S-type prevent suck back if filled appropriately. And again, harder to clean.

I've gone one step further with THESE

The convenience and peace of mind of a thorough cleaning after every brew are worth the premium to me...

Very nice! Do you unscrew the NPT part and clean that too? I normally just pull apart my ball valves every 10 brews or so and do a deep clean. FWIW they are all on the hot side so I don't worry too much about infection.

What am I missing? I completely take apart my 2 piece valves all the time.

Nothing:D
The only benefit of 3 piece over 2 piece is that the body can be removed without dismantling pipework - in most cases this is no benefit as most homebrew setups are not hard plumbed.
Orientation can be solved by stopping turning the valve in the correct position and using adequate thread tape.

Back