Ball or Pin lock????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanPC

Reaction score
I'm making the move to legging...which is better and why? Or is it just a matter of opinion.

Im doing the samething right now ive noticed ball lock keg peices are easier to find localy, and I beleive have a smaller diameter, but are taller. Im goin with the ball lock because of these three things

I went ball lock and have had no problems at all fixing or getting replacement parts.

The biggest debate is just that, the dimensions. If you are using a chest freezer, it can be harder to fit more kegs with a pin lock as they are fatter. What are you going to store them in and serve out of. That can make all the difference.

I went with Pin lock simply because I was able to source them cheaper.

Depending on the fridge you are using one may fit better than the other.

I have a question about this as well. I've seen many posts on the subject and a lot of responses that say something like:

"you have to just make your decision early on and stick with that one"

My question is why? Why can't you have a mix of both? Is is that it's difficult to change out lines to the CO2 manifold?

Yes, I'm a newbie so I really don't get it. I just got my first keg and it's a pin lock... but unless there's a really good reason to stick with only one kind.... I imagine I'd buy either if the price is right.

I have a question about this as well. I've seen many posts on the subject and a lot of responses that say something like:

"you have to just make your decision early on and stick with that one"

My question is why? Why can't you have a mix of both? Is is that it's difficult to change out lines to the CO2 manifold?

Yes, I'm a newbie so I really don't get it. I just got my first keg and it's a pin lock... but unless there's a really good reason to stick with only one kind.... I imagine I'd buy either if the price is right.

Easier to stick with one kind as you don't have to swap connectors around, etc.

All you have to do is switch out the disconnects, not a big deal at all. If you clean your lines between kegs, it's a no-brainer at all.

I'm learning now about the only real difference: dimensions. I am forced to temporarily store my full-sized fridge, which means using a compact fridge as my keezer. Mympinlocks won't fit side by side in it, somim forced to make some mods. Two ball locks would have fit without changes.

Airborneguy said:
Mympinlocks won't fit side by side in it, somim forced to make some mods.

Been drinking a little tonight, buddy? ;)

Actually I'm not here to troll... I am about to buy my first keg setup and wandered in here to find the answer to this same question. It looks like ball lock is the way to go.

I use pin locks just because I had more of them than the ball lock...I don't like switching out disconnects all the time.

I do by up ball locks as I come across them on Craigslist...then run them down to my local home brew store, and they swap them out for pin locks

I could swear i've seen people also do conversions from what they have to the other. Does the pin lock style also have the relief similar to the ball lock style?

Some do, borrowing this one

ForumRunner_20120329_022323.jpg

Pretty sure I can fit either...I may go for the ball lock...seems like that's style where parts are easiest to come by.

I am a balls kinda guy. Just stick with a single style to use the same connections (and parts) to keep it simple.

no one has said it yet... so I guess I will. I've been kegging for close to a year now I guess, and my choice is other.

I use sanke kegs. There are plenty around and various sizes to chose from based on your particular need. Generally of course I stick with the sixtel since it works perfectly for the 5 gallon batch at 5.17 gallons of capacity. There are plenty of ways to source them with some being more legal or moral than others (not getting into that). I think by now I have 3-4 sixtels and a half barrel that I own and 1 or 2 sixtels and a half barrel that the beer distributor owns which need to go back when i go to get my next keg.

My other ideal preference, if I am running low on beer for one of my taps, I can simply run out and pick up a keg of whatever I want and throw it into my keezer and not have to worry about connections. Likewise, I can bring a keg with me somewhere and as long as the destination has serving methods, more than likely, they're set up for sanke's.

Then the argument of cleaning comes in to play. To completely disassemble, clean and reassemble the keg, it might take me 20 minutes of work. I can generally get the dip tube out within a minute and re-assemble just as quick. The rest is just filling and soaking like every other keg.

Also, if you investigate closed system, pressurized fermentation, there's more reasons to utilize the sanke keg...

Just my $0.02...

Space issue = Ball Lock is best

No Space Issue = Pin Lock is cheaper

sort of....

height clearance issue? = Pin lock is best by a couple inches

diameter clearance issue = ball lock barely wins out.

cost wise, pin lock is cheaper initially. I don't see any price or availability issues with either (i have 8 pin lock, and 9 ball lock).

hardest part is keeping them full, regardless of fittings

sort of....

height clearance issue? = Pin lock is best by a couple inches

diameter clearance issue = ball lock barely wins out.

cost wise, pin lock is cheaper initially. I don't see any price or availability issues with either (i have 8 pin lock, and 9 ball lock).

hardest part is keeping them full, regardless of fittings

Agreed. It's been my experience though that most people deal with diameter related issues and not height clearance issues, but there are always exceptions.

Latest posts

Back